Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Weight Digression

Hmm...two months ago, before I started jiu jitsu, the YMCA scale said I weighed 220lbs. The same scale says I now weigh 225lbs. Both weigh-ins were in the morning. How in the world did a fat softy gain 5lbs after 1.5hr jiu jitsu workouts 3-4 x per week for two full months? I haven't worked out like the past two months since high school water polo/swimming. I know, I know...muscle weighs more than fat. But come on. I'm about 25-30lbs overweight. Figured I'd at least lose a pound or two before I started putting on muscle. Can't be that. I already eat fairly well. I've cut out almost all refined sugars (no candies, sodas, cakes, etc., at all). Don't eat "fast food." Eat lots of salads, raw almonds, sugar free yogurt, fiber cereals, turkey sandwiches, chicken noodle soups, lean cuisines, etc. Has my calorie intake increased? I don't think so. Suppose I need to get more serious about monitoring intake quantity.

3 comments:

  1. Good blog, love to read your updates! Some tipes, watch the nut intake as they contain a high content of fat, also cut the carbs not all if it but some and try to intake the carbs during the morning and limit supper to high protein meals, drink more water, my 2c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous! Meals are tough because I'm on the road (living out of hotel). I usually stick to a handful of raw almonds. Dr. says it will help with my HDL. I've struggled with low HDL (<35) for years. Carbs are a problem. I love bread, but I'm a stickler on whole grain or double fiber bread. Still...probably eating too much of it. A purple belt friend of mine also said to avoid carbs and boost protein in the evenings. I'll have to try that. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMHO:

    All the nonsense about needing high protein, or needing to eat certain things at certain times of the day, is just that-- nonsense.

    It's thermodynamics, baby. Lose weight? Eat less, do more. Quantity is just as important as quality. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. Get a body fat analysis done at a gym or your YMCA; usually it comes with a basal metabolic analysis as well (how many calories you burn just to exist and survive.) Aim to lose 2 lbs a week or so-- meaning you have to burn an extra 7000 calories, or eat 7000 calories fewer, or some combination of the two, each week. Don't do any of the crazy diets like Atkins, etc. They work because people eat fewer calories. Aim for a healthy balance of carbs, protein, lots and lots of vegetables, some fruit, some dairy. And don't stress the weight loss-- not everyone's body can do math! Sometimes I swear I haven't eaten much and yet I gain. It might be water weight. Over time, though, you will see a change.

    :)

    ReplyDelete