Saturday, June 12, 2010

10:45a-12:30p

10:45-11a: Brought a friend today for his first class. Introduced Matt to Professor Matthias, got him a community gi, showed him how to tie the belt, and hit the mat. I stretched a bit and we watched Nick, a young 4-stripe white belt (I think he's 16) roll with Professor Marco. Nick got Marco breathing a bit. Don't think he gave him too much of a hard time though. ;-)

11-11:15a: Warm-ups and standard drills. Had significant problems with push-ups, even from the knees. Might have finished only 60%. Will I ever be strong enough to do normal push ups? Also found out I've been doing front rolls incorrectly. I need to slow it down and follow through properly.

11:15-11:25a: Basic self defense technique to escape a front choke. Matt was my partner. Left ear hurt a bit on the first escape to the left. Note to self...don't escape to the ailing side. Escapes to right felt much better.

11:25-11:35a: Arm bar technique from guard with Matt. Learned a technique to help bring the arm across over the chest to set up the submission.

11:35-11:45a: Triangle technique from guard with Matt. Pretty standard stuff.

11:45a-11:55a: Reversal technique when opponent tries to break and pass guard by standing up. Standard grab of heels, drop hips, touch knees and extend hips so opponent falls. Worked a transition to mount using opponents momentum. Had trouble positioning my left leg to make the transition smooth. Need to work on it a bit more.

11:55a-12:10p: Explored an arm bar option from prior position if opponent defends against reversal by holding onto gi lapels.

12:10-12:30p: Rolls. First roll with Nick. Although he's only 16, I only have a couple inches and 20lbs on him. Had a number of successful escapes from side control and mount. Even passed guard and advanced to mount a few times, but Nick had multiple reversals. At one point he said something about me being a bit explosive. Sounded like a criticism. I asked if there was something wrong with that and he asked if I was getting tired. Truth is, he was breathing and sweating a lot more than I was. He left a few holes and I wasn't going to slowly insert my knee or attempt my escape. I did it quickly and with purpose. Near the end of the roll he set up an arm bar from side control. I knew what he was doing and thought about one of Saulo's escapes. Unfortunately, that escape is all about timing and I was late. What's even worse is I escaped to the wrong direction. WHAT WAS I THINKING? That's the problem...had to think. Need to drill it and develop muscle memory. Obviously he got the arm bar. However, he apparently missed the first 3 of 5 taps. By the time he released, my arm was hyper-extended and I felt two pops. Elbow is a bit sore right now, but I have full range of motion and no sharp pain. Don't think there is permanent damage.

Second roll was with Cleveland. He's a big strong four-stripe white belt about my age (maybe a few years younger). Probably 6'3" and 22olbs, but his 220lbs is not like my 225lbs. He's strong. That said, he doesn't use strength at all. All technique. He's such a nice guy. I've rolled with him once before and really enjoy working with him. He knew about my elbow issue and didn't attempt any submissions. We just rolled and worked to advance position vs. escape. Good stuff.

Had a brand new kid for my last roll. Probably 18 or so. My size. Football player. Forgot his name... Talk about explosive! I recall the Professor asking him to take it easy during his first roll. We didn't really roll. I taught him some basic technique and goals when in someone's guard or when he has someone in his guard. Had him try to pass my open guard and he eventually got to stand up. Tried to muscle his way around and I hooked and swept him to mount. He understood the need to slow it down and think about controlling hips and working his way down and around.

Matt liked the class and wants to come back. Hector caught in a Kimura. Hector started a few weeks ago. That might have been his first submission. Matt's highlight of the day? Survived a front gi choke attempt by implementing what we learned earlier in the class. Says he wants to come back on Tuesday for the next beginner's class. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment