Monday, June 7, 2010

11:50a to 1p

11:50a-12p: Conference call got cancelled so I was able to attend a session at GB San Diego. Professor Parker welcomed me and had me sign a waiver. Taped and suited up in time for warm-ups.

12-12:15p: First time at another school so I was a bit nervous. But once things got going, I felt right at home. Started with standard warmups. Most of the same warmups we do at NOLA BJJ.

12:15-12:25p: Side control escape and escape prevention technique with partner. Worked both sides.

12:25-12:35p: Worked in a second escape option for guy on bottom (underhook, hip escape, leg momentum to go from back to belly then to elevator to knee takedown). Both sides with same partner as prior technique/drill.

12:35-12:45p: Combined prior drills to about 75% speed. Both sides with same partner as prior drill.

12:45-12:55p: Many rounds of 30 second full speed mini-spars from side control with same partner. Bottom guy tried to escape. Top guy tried to advance position (knee on belly to mount and submission). I went for one arm-bar attempt when I had knee on belly and my partner tried to push my knee off with left arm, leaving space. I was sloppy and executed before securing the left arm. Oh well. At least I recognized the opportunity.

12:55-1p: Switched partners. One full speed roll. Both started at knees. I worked with a much, much smaller but faster two-stripe white belt. He was quick. Somehow I ended up in his guard and passed a few times, but had extreme difficulty holding my ground. He easily inserted knee or prevented me from knee on belly. At one point I switched to north-south. He wrapped his legs around my head, but didn't really have much. It wasn't comfortable at all (especially with my ailing ears). I couldn't think of a way out without really hurting my ears (i.e., brute force!) so thought about tapping. Decided to survive a bit longer and see if I could think of something else. Eventually I realized I could literally do a front roll and if I kept my balance it should allow the escape to his guard. That worked to an extent, but without much effort he escaped and somehow ended up making an attempt at my back. I went into back survival posture and he basically stopped the roll. Time was almost up. He knew I was gassed. I guess he didn't feel like trying to pry me out of my turtle. I enjoyed the roll. The small guys are tough. Enjoyed the class too. Thanks GB San Diego!

No comments:

Post a Comment