Monday, June 14, 2010

5:45 - 7:40p

5:45- 6:15p: Arrived early to stretch prior to the self defense course. Judo session going on. The guys were throwing each other so hard. Can't imagine putting myself through that. 6p came and went. No Coach Rusty. Turns out he is on vacation this week. I didn't get the memo.

6:15-6:30p: Solo drills. Worked front rolls, left and right side. I never did left side before. Felt so awkward. I started slow and did it they way Professor Matthias showed us at Saturday's class. Got it down. Tried to do right side (the side I thought I had down). Still wrong. Turns out I was stepping forward with my left leg before the roll and not completing the roll properly. I tried with the right leg first and I felt like it was my first class. Awkward. Need to work on it. Then I drilled side control survival posture to escapes. Saulo Ribeiro style.

6:30-6:45p: Another classmate, Chad, no-stripe white belt who has been around a bit longer than me but trains inconsistently, asked me if he wanted a partner to work the escapes. SURE! He took side control and I worked the escape. Not much (if any) success. Chad is about my age and probably close to my weight, although a few inches shorter.

6:45-7p: Chris, a 17-yr old 4-stripe white belt (probably 6'2" or so and 175lbs) who took first in the state championships this year, asked if Chad or I wanted roll. Chad chose to save his energy for class. I had to leave early, so why not? I don't think I'd ever rolled with him before. First roll lasted about 30 secs. We started from knees (my idea) and he triangled me pronto. Said he got lucky, but I had horrible posture and he did some judo stuff on me. Found out today he's a brown belt in judo. Nice. Surely an advantage. Second roll was much better. I had his back for a while and tried to go for some chokes, but his defense was solid. Released and we ended up rolling back and forth. He must have submitted me again, but I don't recall how. The third roll started with him in my guard. He spent a good amount of time trying to pass, but eventually did. I stopped the roll after he passed. Class was about to start and I needed to get ready. Enjoyed rolling with the "kid."

7-7:10p: Cliff notes version of warm-ups / standard drills. Coach Tran led and most everyone had been rolling for 30-45 mins or so before class (including him) so he went through the routine fairly quickly. I was worthless. Gassed. Completed maybe 50% of the push-ups from knees. What's wrong with me?

7:10-7:25p: Pass the guard. Got swept by a blue belt. Managed to catch Chad in a Kimura while trying to pass half-guard. Chad had me so locked up, I couldn't figure out how to get my knee through his thighs to complete the pass. I noticed he left his left arm exposed and as soon as I locked it in I heard him groan. He knew what was coming. Not sure if I'm supposed to submit from half-guard since the drill is to pass the guard, but submission is a form of passing guard right? ;-) Also triangled 14-yr old prodigy David. I tried the first time we faced off, but he escaped and passed. Second time he went for the same thing, but I managed to shoot it right and lock it in. David has submitted me at least a dozen times the past couple months and I never came close to submitting him. As I said, he's 14, a 4-stripe white belt (not interested in the kid belts) and has been doing this about a year now. He probably weighs 140lbs or so. Yet he's managed to own me for the past two months. Felt good to finally catch him. He's a great kid and has an extremely bright future. So humble and teachable. He will go far.

7:25-7:45p: Pass the guard drills, but from stand-up / open guard. Bottom guy has both hands in belt. Top guy has one hand in belt. I think this was a better drill for the bottom guy trying to maintain and recover guard. Then we spent 5 mins or so passing guard with hands. Tiring. That's an understatement. I was gassed.

9-11:30p: Left class early to get back to the hotel and get ready for the Dropkick Murphy's show at the New Orleans House of Blues. Great show. Ran into a guy from Gracie JJ of Pensacola (wearing the shirt). He'd only been training 9 mos, but as an older guy like me, we had a good chat about the sport. I am glad to part of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment