Monday, June 21, 2010

5:50-8:30p

5:50-6:20p: Stretched and watched judo class. The judo folks are impressive. I need those take-down skillz, but don't think my body could take the impact. Maybe when I'm in better shape. I worked on solo upa and side-control bridge to elbow or hip escape to guard recovery drills. Also mixed in the side-control bridge to elbow escape to elevator. I feel a bit off-balance during these bridges. Then worked front rolls. I think about front rolls frequently since realizing I had been doing them incorrectly last week. Think I have the left side down, but I keep landing and extending the wrong leg coming out of the right side. I'm also not breaking my fall correctly. Again...more validation that I'm not ready for Judo.

6:20-6:40: Professor Doc Eddie asked if I wanted to roll. SURE!!! I'll never turn down an opportunity to roll with an upper belt. Especially a Professor! He started off in my guard. I didn't really know what to do because he didn't attack or try to break my guard. Sort of sat there, lowered his head. I didn't want to spazz or escalate the intensity. Just tried to figure out what he was doing. I'm sure he was testing me to see what I'd do. I didn't know what to do... Eventually we got going a bit. I don't recall a whole lot. Just that he's very strong and it didn't take much effort on his part to make me work very hard to survive. At one point he set up for an armbar from side control. I knew exactly what he was doing, but had to wait for the moment where I could implement one of Saulo's escapes from Jiu Jitsu University. Timing was off a tad bit, because he pulled the lever before I could move the foot, clasp my free arm, and sit up. I asked if he could set that up again and give me one more chance. Slower this time. Success. Passed to side control. He wasn't resisting, but I felt the mechanics and know it can work if timed properly. At some other time he got my back. Gave me a heckuva time attacking the neck. Resorted to back survival posture. He established the body lock. I bridged/rolled into the lock, broke it, inserted elbow and knee. Then I trapped an exposed ankle and started torquing fairly hard by twisting/bridging. For a fleeting moment, I thought: "Could he tap?" Nah. I didn't keep trying. Survived more choke attempts and eventually escaped, but I'm pretty sure he just wanted to keep the roll going.

6:40-7p: Jessica (blue belt) asked if I wanted to roll. She's much much smaller than me. We've rolled a few times before. I really try to avoid throwing my weight around, but apparently didn't succeed tonight. I believe she started in my guard or if she didn't she ended up in my guard soon after we started the roll. Flower sweep successful. 2nd attempt (later in the roll) successful as well. Never tried it before, but I love the mechanics of that sweep. Also succeeded with this scissor sweep variation a couple times. Jessica is quick. She escaped a number of advancement attempts and recovered guard very well. She also escaped to take back once or twice. At one point in the roll I had side control and Jessica recovered deep half guard. I only know one way to pull my knee from deep half guard and apparently it isn't too class friendly. Started to apply a little pressure on the cross face and she said, "Tap!" I really didn't think I was applying too much pressure/weight, but, as I said, I'm much much bigger than her. I was so focused on working my knee free, I'm not sure how much weight I leaned into that forearm posted across her neck/chin/upper chest.

7-7:15p: Warm-ups / standard drills. David led. David's the 14-yr old four-stripe white belt with about a year experience who about dominates most opponents. He's clearly a blue belt, but chose not to accept the kid belt promotions. He'll keep his 4 stripes for 2 more years. My guess is his journey through blue will be fairly short. Push-ups went poorly. Worse than usual.

7:15-7:30p: Pass the guard. David on the mat. Couldn't pass his guard. He eventually took my back. Sick. Next time around I passed someone's guard (can't recall) and took the mat. Henry, a younger white belt MMA practitioner, attempted to pass next. He was very aggressive and resorted to a lot of force. I held guard (switch between open and closed), failed a couple sweep attempts, but managed to prevent him from taking side control and recovered guard. He was flailing a bit and I kept waiting for an opportunity to shoot a triangle, but never felt comfortable enough to attempt. After about 3 minutes or so he gave up and got back in line. David was up next and attempted to pass. I caught an arm and he stood up to defend. I stuck with it and eventually got the tap, although he had me fully extended where only my head, neck and part of my shoulders were on the mat. Professor Matthias was next up and got in my guard. He joked, "So you feel good beating up on a 14yr old kid?" We were laughing because he's submitted me so many flippin' times...yeah...it DID feel good to submit David for the second time. I tried pretty hard to hold the good Professor in my closed guard. At one point he drove his right elbow into my left thigh. Hurt like crazy. I winced and broke my guard. He smiled and asked, "What? Ticklish?" Another chuckle. At some point he pinned a hand and started working a pass to one side from stand up. Slowly. I could almost see him think, but there was nothing I could do but resist as best as possible. He went for his move...and...by stroke of luck I timed an escape properly and ended up taking down a leg into his side control. Nice.

7:30-8p: Re-visited straight ankle locks. Asst. Instructor Collin showed a variation that seemed to work very well...too bad my mind is drawing a blank... Worked knee bar and toe hold technique as well, but, to tell you the truth, I didn't pay too much attention. I can't do these submissions until a brown belt and my brain is full. I have enough trouble remember how to execute basic white belt technique.

8-8:30p: Rolls. First roll was with David. Yeah...David. Let's just say that my only two submissions occurred during guard pass drills. I still struggle quite a bit to even advance position when I roll with him. Sometimes, like tonight, it's a struggle to survive. At one point David took my back. I responded by establishing all-fours survival posture then rolled to back survival posture. He worked a number of choke attempts, all thwarted. I worked the scoop, but struggled to keep posture as David continued to work the choke. Eventually he got the choke. I tapped...geez this kid is tough. I have several inches at least 90lbs on him.

Second roll with Henry. I tried to pass his guard, but he didn't have gi pants and I didn't realize how much easier passing guard is when your opponent has gi pants. I eventually passed (stack) and advanced to mount. After settling in, I proceeded to attack his arms. He defended well. Tight. Couldn't pry them away long enough to work on anything. I was able to pull his head up and attempted a triangle, but didn't have his arm pinned and he was able to create space. He eventually rolled me and I took guard. Henry really poured on the pressure (and burned through a ton of energy in the process) trying to pass. Again I was unable to time a triangle shoot or armbar attempt. He was quite squirrelly. At some point I popped him in the chin/lip. Bloody. Whoops!

Third roll with Dr. Steve. The guy is just good. REAL good. He passed guard and established Kesa Gatame on the right side. Managed to pry my right arm away from my side and wrapped a leg over. Arm bar. Didn't take long at all. We rolled back and forth. The only notable event on my side was two successful seated mount escapes. Saulo is a genius. That escape only failed me once and has succeeded against two purple belts. Love it. Dr. Steve got promoted after class ended. His fourth stripe (white belt). In my opinion, he's better than most blue belts I've rolled with. Well deserved. Congrats Steve!

Injury Report: The pinky toe I dislocated about 6-7 weeks ago is acting up. It's such a distraction. I feel weak and purposefully avoid positions and attacks that require putting a lot of pressure on the left side of my left foot. A few weeks back, when I whined about it, Professor Matthias said it will probably bother me as long as I involved in the sport. I guess I'd better get used to it. Oh...the black eye I got last week is now nice and yellow. Looks a bit odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment