Wednesday, June 2, 2010

5:30-8:30p

5:30-5:50p: Stretches. Watched MMA practice. This guy took bottom for multiple rounds with rested partners rotating in to simulate striking from top while he worked escapes. Crazy endurance.

5:50-6p: Light roll with a blue belt. I rolled with him my first bjj class. He kept telling me to relax and not use so much muscle. Said the same thing a few times since that first day, but not lately. He likes unconventional starting positions (both on knees, one stand up one down with open guard, etc.). Interesting but uneventful warm-up roll.

6-7p: Self defense course. First time taking this class. Worked on wrist grab defense, close quarters posture and punch/knee/head butt defense. Also worked open guard pass with punch/head kick defense. Finished class with shrimping technique/drills. Mostly gals in the class. One guy was there, but not the white belt who usually takes the class and catches me in odd submissions (chokes and ankle locks). I have to admit I felt a bit uncomfortable working with the women. The self defense class gals aren't like the couple women who roll with us in the sports jiu-jitsu class. I have no problem being aggressive with those girls. I don't know how to describe it. I'll have to get over it if I want to keep taking the self defense class. As I said. Mostly women.

7-7:15p: Warm-up/standard drills. Did 100% of the pushups from knees. Might try "real" push-ups tomorrow. Back still cramping from core exercises. Figure I made 75% or so of the reps with sporadic cramping.

7:15-7:30p: Pass the guard. Gassed myself while a blue belt attempted to pass. He eventually passed. Nothing else to write home about.

7:30-7:45p: Half guard escape technique. Worked a few different types.

7:45-8p: Sweep/escape drills. Underhook sweep from guard to mount then mount escape to guard to underhook sweep from guard to mount - repeat... Good stuff.

8-8:30p: Rolls. No need for a blow-by-blow. Basically sloppy work on my part. Armbarred and choked too many times. Game was far too loose. Need to return to survival basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment