Monday, June 28, 2010

5:45-8:30p

5:45-6p: Stretched. Watched a few minutes of the judo class. Lighter turnout than usual, but the guys looked like they were having fun.

6-7p: Instructor Rusty's self defense course. Started with elbow to jaw from close quarters if someone tries cocks back for swing. Worked multiple mount maintenance techniques including upa avoidance (heavy hip weight - broad post to stabilize) and responses to push-ups, knee / hip pushes, and sit-up defense. Finished up with mata leon choke technique.

7-7:15p: Warm-ups / standard drills. Charlie (purple belt) led. Felt good, but only finished 85% of core exercises and 60% of push-ups or so from knees.

7:15-7:30p: Pass the guard. Dr. Steve (four stripe white belt) swept me in no time. He got a couple blues too. Dr. Steve's a sweep machine. John (blue belt) swept me too. Struggled a lot with Nick's (another four-stripe white belt) guard. Thought I had passed a few times, but he figured out how to create space and recover at least half a butterfly or full guard before I could maintain a pass.

7:30-8p: Professor Matthias showed the class a couple items from yesterday's Rolles Graice seminar. Posture break technique, deep collar grab, standard cross choke to brabo choke, and escape from guard to take the back if opponent employs predictable brabo choke defense.

8-8:30p: Rolls. Dorian up first. 4-stripe white belt. Probably about 6'2" and 190lbs. I started in his guard. Broke guard and passed. After settling in I proceeded to knee on belly. Held it for at least four seconds, but in the process of trying to maintain position, I missed an opportunity to trap his arm when he pushed. Why was I thinking about points? Oh well. Dorian pressed me hard the rest of the roll. At some point I gave up my back and went into all-fours survival posture (I seem to do that a lot). Burned at least a minute defending back attacks and eventually transitioned to back survival posture. Defended choke attacks well, but I was never able to establish the proper position to execute scoop (which is necessary for the escape). Don't recall what happened after that.

Professor Matthias matched me with Henry next. Henry is a white belt (not sure about stripes) and a real scrapper. I takes the judo class and might even do some MMA. I have a weight and slight height advantage, but he's clearly much stronger than me. Henry's gi pants are ripped, so he's been working out in shorts. Passing guard is soooo much harder without gi pants. I eventually passed and started working choke / arm attacks from side control. Almost locked in an americana, but he defended by bringing his right arm over. I switched my knee up near head to trap the right arm and began to set up an arm bar. Left foot over his face and right knee buried in his side. He started defending the right arm. At some point he lifted his head and I slipped my left leg under his head. Locked left foot behind the right knee - like a triangle from north-south, but I was sitting up and didn't have an arm trapped. He continued to defend his arms. I continued to attack an arm while clinching the choke. Didn't think I had a choke since his arm wasn't trapped as required for a true triangle. Just trying to distract him enough to expose the right arm so I could switch to arm bar, but he continued to defend. I looked behind me and Ross (blue belt) encouraged me to continue with the choke. I was worried I was cranking his neck, but apparently he was choking since he tapped (Professor Matthias confirmed he was choking and it wasn't a neck crank - whew). We re-set. Henry in my guard. He really knows how to apply some top pressure. I maintained an open guard for the rest of the roll, but there were many close call pass attempts before time ran out.

Final roll with Mike (new blue belt). The roll was a bit of a blur, but I recall keeping the guard for quite a while. At one point I trapped an arm using loose gi lapel, but didn't have the arm extended enough to pull it off. He managed to extract the arm from stand-up and stacked to side control. Felt like crap. Sooo tired. He took mount and somehow I reversed. Can't remember how exactly. The roll seemed like it went on forever. I remember attempting the open guard reversal that I learned at the seminar. Dropped the knees, pulled him forward, and then extended my legs when he was off balance. He started to go over my head, but something went wrong and I didn't end up in mount.

Exhausting set of rolls, but it felt very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment