Tuesday, June 22, 2010

5:20-7:30p

5:20-5:30p: Stretches. Attempted two front rolls, one from the left and the other from the right. Ouch... Wrists weak and in pain. Ribs. Shoulders. I knew then tonight would be a struggle.

5:30-5:40p: Short warm-ups/standard drills. David led again. He didn't seem too excited about it. We went through the warm-up rather quickly. Managed 60% of push-ups from knees. None of the usual core cramping.

5:40-5:55p: Pass the guard. A blur. Pain. Aches. The only thing I recall worth noting is my attempt to pass Professor Marco's guard. Every time I tried to keep balance and my weight low, he'd get me off balance in one direction, then the other, then back. I felt like I was watching a B horror flick where some poor gal is trying to escape the psycho killer and it's obvious to everyone that it's only a matter time ... she will expire. Yes. He swept me. No surprise there.

5:55-6:10p: Self defense technique. Learned a headlock escape with punch defense. Had trouble securing the attacking arm. I imagine I'd take a few blows before getting that under control. Need to work on it.

6:10-6:30p: Basic posture recovery and guard break technique. Refresher from last week's class.

6:30-6:45p: Added guard pass option from stand up technique. Take inside knee pistol grips or gi pant leg grips. Control legs and bring close together. Feign one direction, wait for push-back, slam to floor, pass to side. Trick was to hold on to inside grip until outside arm can reach under and control hips. Then move to cross face or another side control variation. Had to fight instinct to release inside grip.

6:45-6:55p: Drilled all three techniques. Pain. Lots of pain. Don't understand why it hurt so bad, but both my shoulders were screaming. Considered calling it a night. If my partner (Big Steve) wasn't sick of my whining, he deserves an award.

6:55-7:30p: Rolls. Seriously contemplated sitting out. My shoulders felt like they'd explode. I haven't felt that horrible in a while. Decided to tough it out. First roll was with Big Steve. He knew I was hurting. I told him to take it easy on me anyway. He did. Not sure what happened, but not much. Certainly nothing worth writing about.

Second roll was with a newer guy. Don't recall his name. Newer guy is strong. Likely has a rassling background. I told him I was an old man in pain. He took it easy on me. Caught me in a kimura at one point.

Third roll was with Blaise. Referred to him as Braxton or "B" in last week's post. The 17-19yr old football player. Turns out he's a couple inches taller and probably close to my weight. I encouraged him not to use force, but try the technique we'd learned in class the past couple weeks. He was much improved. He broke my guard and I settled into spider. I don't think he'd seen spider before because he tried to muscle out of it. I kept rotating on my back and each time he forced himself free, I recovered spider. I showed him how to peel off the knee. It worked once, but he then started to focus on the other arm and I recovered spider on the recently freed arm. I could tell he was a bit baffled. I was just shocked that I went through an entire 6 min roll without burning much energy and hurting my joints! Amazing what 2 mos experience difference makes when your opponent is brand spankin' new.

Last roll was with Big Steve again. I suppose the adrenaline hit me because the pain was not as bad. We had a good roll. He caught me in a kimura once. I think he realized I was vulnerable about a split second before I did because just as I thought I needed to protect that arm, he was moving for the submission. Good for him. My only success moment came when he took mount and I think tried a variation of the seated mount. He mistakenly placed his right foot/leg adjacent to my left tricep. I rolled slightly to pin the foot, then collapsed a posted arm and completed an upa to land in his guard. With the right foot trapped and right arm collapsed, he couldn't post. "Hooray me for recognizing the opportunity" moment.

Class ended. Pain returned...with a vengeance. Tomorrow should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment