Sunday, April 1, 2012

More Pan Thoughts + Week in Review

The more I replay my fight the more ticked off I am at myself for the mental failures.  My technical jiu jitsu is better than his.  I beat myself.

That said, I realize now more than ever I need to drop two weight classes.  Out of 9 guys in my division, I was only in better physical shape than one.  These guys were ripped, cut, shredded, whatever you want to call it, they were fit.  Probably less than 12% body fat.  I'm pretty sure the guy who won the division had less than 9% body fat.  A Professor from another school I visited long ago suggested they might be on something; possibly HGH or roids.

Even if my competitors were using PEDs, I still think I need to cut another 25lbs.  My goal is to hit 202 by mid-May and 190 by end of August.  Then cut a few to make Medium Heavy for American Nationals this fall.  

Now, this week's review:

Beginning weight: 215.4

  • Monday 3/26:  1.25hrs cardio/core/stretches, including 20 min swim (1000yds), 15 min core/stretches, 30 min elliptical, and 10 min cool down/stretch.  
  • Tuesday 3/27:  1.5hrs BJJ plus 1hr strength and conditioning.  
  • Wednesday 3/28:  45min cardio/stretching, including 25 min swim (1000yds) and 20 min core/stretch. 
  • Thursday 3/29:  Rest day.
  • Friday 3/30:  Worked up a good sweat (warm-up), then fought 5 mins at Pans.  
  • Saturday 3/31:  Disneyland.  Walked for miles.
  • Sunday 4/1:  40mins cardio/core/stretches, including 15min on treadmill increasing speed over time up to a near sprint.  Watched 8hrs of Black/Brown Belt matches at Pans.      
End weight:  215.00

5 comments:

  1. Yeah. what you said.

    I couldn't respond to your last post, though I wanted to. I understood all too well. I didn't know what to write. Still don't. All I can say is, I get it. I would love to write the most brilliant quote that will part the clouds and deliver clarity and wisdom in the face of defeat, but...sigh.

    The best I can do is Theodore Roosevelt. Look up his quote that begins with "Far better to dare mighty..."

    Dag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dag for the kind words. BTW, I met Fabio Santos. He sat in the row in front of me yesterday. I kept wondering, "Who's the old guy with the jacked up left ear." His english was so good I didn't suspect he was Brazilian until one of the brazilian gals from our team started talking to him. He seems like such a nice guy.

    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a gripey mood right now-- I'm disgruntled that it seems you have to devote at least a part-time job's worth of time just to training to have the skills, PLUS a part-time job's worth of time to the weight cut/maintenance and cardio/strength/flexibility skill set... just to be competitive... I'm grumpy! Where's the HOBBYIST division :)

    Kudoes to you for putting it out there, my friend. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rick
    Thanks for the great updates/reflections on the Pan Ams. I have heard the same about some of the competitors possibly using PEDS. Keep focus brother, you keep us old guys motivated :)

    Cheers
    Dion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Georgette and Dion! You know, I figure we just need to keep on keepin' on and not let what other people or gyms do affect us. Train, have fun, and put your neck on the line in competition as often as reasonable. What happens, happens. It's like Rowdy said in a comment to my earlier post; the top competitors at a major like Pans are overdue for a promotion. So...unless my Professor sandbags (which he doesn't), I will NEVER be competitive at these tourneys. Even if I cut 20lbs and am in tip top fighting shape I'll eventually run up against someone in equal shape with far more mat time/experience. But that won't stop me from fighting. 'Cause that's what I do. :-)

    ReplyDelete