Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pans: To Fight or Not to Fight

...that is the question.  I have a family event on Saturday of Pans so I thought I would miss competing.  Turns out Senior 1 Blues go on Friday.  So now that I don't have a "good" excuse, should I?

Pros:
1.  To play is to win.  It's not about winning for me.  It's about the experience.  What better way than to put it on the line in my first major tourney?
2.  I turn 36 in May so I'd be among the youngest of the Senior 1s.  Why miss an opportunity to be a "young gun"?  That won't come again for 5 years.
3.  I'm very curious to see (and feel) what another guy roughly my age and belt can do.  I don't get many opportunities to train with others my weight/belt.

Cons:
1.  I'm currently 228lbs in a gi.  Need to lose 7lbs to make Super Heavy.  No way am I fighting Ultra...  Cutting weight is very difficult for me.
2.  I'm grossly out of shape.  Almost 3 months off the mats has taken a toll.
3.  I'd be risking injury.  My left side isn't recovered.  I'm still about 50% strength on the left tricep.  Posting is difficult and stability in post is precarious.  I can train around this (just go slow and be careful), but that's hard(er) to do with comp adrenaline.  I could easily tear something in my shoulder or hyper extend my elbow.    

So...hmm...things to ponder.  

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rick -

    I follow your posts regularly and really appreciate your blog. I picked-up David Meyer's "Training for Competition BJJ" book a few years ago and he makes a comparison between competition and dealing with adversity in everyday life. We haven't prepared enough. We're not in shape. We don't feel ready. All things we need to deal with in real life. With that said, it sounds like the cons far outweigh the pros here (especially #3). Anyone that trains BJJ and has injured an elbow knows the extreme disadvantage of not being able to post on an arm. My suggestion would be to keep training and rehabbing until you feel confident and enter a smaller competition - with the intent of preparing for a larger tournament later in the year. The Pans will be there next year. To risk a major setback, to me, does not seem worth the risk. Good luck and keep up the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous. I'm leaning that way. I think I'd have to be 100% committed in order to make weight anyhow. So... I'll give it another week before deciding. But I already have one foot (and a few pounds) on the "no" side of the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my last year at senior 1.... and i havent trained but one month this year. or past year even.... purple, pluma.

    i always learn something, and since we live close we might as well.

    i'll do it if you will. we got just a few days left to sign up....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh... Probably gonna wait until March 23rd to decide. <9days and counting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you decide to do it I hope to meet you. Tom and I will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer, I'll be there Friday and Sunday to watch if I don't compete so I'll definitely keep an eye out for you!

    As for competing, I'm feeling better. Much better. Stronger. Safer. More confident. Losing weight too. If I was 40/60 against competing, I'm at least 60/40 in favor now. Still have a few days to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to meeting you. I'm competing Friday blue female masters middle.

    ReplyDelete