Friday, March 23, 2012

At Weight...Pans Here I Come

Scale at the gym tonight said 219.5 with gi.  I didn't believe it so I bought a scale after class.  215.4 butt naked.  So, I guess I'm at weight with a week to go and therefore have no excuse (other than fear) not to register for Pans.

Tonight's class was tough.  All drills plus training.  Lots of crazy good guard recovery and guard passing drills that had me screaming for rest.  Then Professor asked all those competing in Pans to take center mat.  I haven't signed up, I wasn't positive I'd do it, and I had a feeling what was coming so I didn't volunteer.  Yeah, that's me.  The coward.

The six brave souls who took center mat stayed there for 30 mins straight with fresh guys pouncing every six minutes.  It was brutal.  I sat out first round and Professor assigned me to a taller, but younger/lighter white belt for second round.  He said to attack as soon as he called time.  Take mount, back, whatever.  Poor guy had no idea what was coming.  I pounced on his back and sunk the hooks with choke set up.  At first he thought it was a joke and soon realized we were not joking.  Finished the last round with a Blue (kid...can't be older than 17 and no more than 165lbs).   Wowzers. After enduring 24 mins of getting pummeled, he gave me a real hard time.

Class finally ended.  I was destroyed.  Yet I wasn't one of the guys who had to fight 30 mins straight.  Made me realize I'm in NO shape for Pans.  But...I'm at weight.  To play is to win, right?  I'm going to weigh again in the morning and after lunch.  If I'm still at weight, I'll throw my hat in for Pans.  Scared to death and almost certain to get destroyed.  But I'm confident I can defend myself well enough to avoid serious injury so I figure  might as well confront my fear and find out if I can truly trust my jiu jitsu.

4 comments:

  1. "To play is to win, right?" Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. go for it man! this is my first year in 4 not competing.... you gotta go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cool blog.. Go out at compete it will be a good experience for you. Cheers Dion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    Jennifer: My division goes Friday. Can't make it Saturday (family function), but I'll be there Sunday. I'll keep an eye out for you and Tom!

    Rowdy: I thought you would if I would? Heh. How about Grappling X on May 6th?

    Dion: I won't be much "competition" but I figure no matter what happens I'll learn something. Good to find another old man BJJ blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete