Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Cutting Weight Sucks

I'm hungry ALL the time.  But it's working.  I've dropped about 5-6lbs in the last week and "think" I need to drop another 3lbs by next Friday...assuming I'm going to compete.  Still haven't decided.  Will wait until the deadline on Friday.  I say "think" because the scales I've weighed on have been somewhat inconsistent.  I will check two different scales tomorrow morning (strength and conditioning gym) and evening (UNIJJ).  We'll see where things stand.

Training has been fantastic since my last update.  I've trained more in the past three weeks than I trained in the prior three months.  I'm sore and my left arm/tricep is still a bit sketchy, but otherwise feel great.  The leg/core focused strength and conditioning I did while sidelined by the neck issues has really helped my top game.

I did some traveling recently.  Trained at Paragon SLO on Friday 3/16 and Monday 3/19, Paragon Templeton on Saturday 3/17, and last night I was at Xande Ribeiro's new place in Hollywood.  I feel so fortunate to be able to train at a multiple gyms.  First, a word about Paragon SLO/Templeton.  I love it there.  Feel right at home.  Professor Chris Lavato is a gem.  He's developed such a great team and gym culture.  The facilities in SLO and Templeton are perfect.  Large, spacious, clean, etc.  Xande's new school in Hollywood is coming along well.  He's sharing space with an MMA gym.  He's off to a great start with a core group of talented and genuinely nice guys and gals.  I may have business in LA more often so I hope to return soon!

I think the best moment of the trip was when a 21yr old 155lb Paragon Blue Belt tapped me with knee on belly.  He had a lapel wrapped around my neck and underhooked one of my legs before applying the knee and pulling like a bow and arrow.  It didn't hurt.  He's only 155lbs.  But it closed my diaphragm and I specifically recall the point where I could not breathe anymore. It was one of the best moments of my jiu jitsu journey so far.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sr. for stopping by at our school. I am very happy to hear you had a great time with our students and instructor. We are looking forward for your next visit and thank you for the kind words about us. It really means a lot to us.

    Respectfully yours,

    Ricardo" Franjinha" Miller
    Paragon BJJ Founder

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Professor Miller. BTW, I trained with a young tough Blue Belt last night. She's attending Cal Poly SLO next year and I referred her to Paragon. She has monster grips for her age/size and solid technique for a Blue. Looks you'll be getting another fierce warrior this fall!

    ReplyDelete