Sunday, July 1, 2012

Saulo's Birthday Party

Trained for 3hrs yesterday and had the great fortune and pleasure to watch an epic 30min round between Saulo and Xande.  Then great food and company to celebrate the Master's birthday.


Training started with an hour fundamentals class.  We worked a classic arm drag then specific training from the arm drag position.  Finished with sparring up to 3pts or submission.  If you score 3pts you stay in the middle.  Fresh guys rotating in.  Managed to score 3pts in every round except for the final round with a Purple when time ran out.  That kept me in the middle for about 15mins.  Maybe 20mins.  Can't recall exactly but I was pretty spent.

Open mat training was tough.  Worked with two Browns, a few Purples, a few Blues, and a White or two.  Went 10+ minutes with a few of them.  I don't recall catching any subs, but I hit a lot of sweeps, passed guard, knee on belly, mount, and back.  Spent far too much time defending back and arm attacks from a couple Purples (ultimately succumbing to a few arm bars).  Also did some round ball balance work.  I can now stand up on round balls of all sizes and inflation levels.  Balance feeling really good.

Worst part of the training?  I tried to break an opponent's grip on my pant sleeve by kicking through while cupping the back of his elbow.  Ended up kicking Saulo pretty hard in the back of the head.  Had no idea he was there.  Such a rookie.  Need to be more aware of my surroundings.

My body's paying today for yesterday's beating.  I am extremely sore.  Lower back is super duper tight.  Shoulders and neck kinked.  Right wrist aches.  So glad today is a rest day.

204.2 prior to training and 197.6 after.  6.6lbs is almost a gallon of sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment