Thursday, July 12, 2012

Rickson and Kron: MOSKOVA Ad

I was at the mall today exchanging US $ for Brazilian R$.  Stopped into one of the most popular (i.e., "trendy") surf shops in San Diego.  Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this prominent end cap display.

I asked the nice young lady working the floor if she knows who they are.  She stared...blankly...obviously clueless.  I asked another two young gents who were working nearby.  Similarly clueless.  One asked if I know who they are.  I said yes, of course.  One is a legend and the other, his son, is on his way to being a legend.  Still...blank stares...  Then I said they are Gracies (father-son) and the photo is from a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament.  They nodded and said, "Oh yeah."  Then the gal spoke up and said, "That makes sense because that company is from Brazil."  SMH...  no it's not.  

Still...  I was shocked.  I know Kron is part of the Moskova family, but that doesn't explain how a photo of him with Rickson wound up on the end cap display at a very trendy surf shop in San Diego.  Has BJJ become that mainstream that Moskova figured the Gracie's could help sell their choners?  Or was this the work of a rogue Moskova distributor who moonlights as a jitsuka?  

No comments:

Post a Comment