Tuesday, August 21, 2012

3hrs

My body has been revolting the past couple weeks.  But for some reason I woke up this morning feeling fairly well.  So I went to class tonight.  3hrs.  So glad I did.

The first hour included basics from Jiu-Jitsu University.  Worked guard recovery from stack pass, double underhooks, and smash pass.   Master Saulo taught the advanced class.  Worked a De la Riva pass that shuts down the berimbolo.  Struggled a bit with this technique, but it's not out of the realm of possibility for my game and body type.  Need more work.

Training included 8min rounds.  Got a Brown and three Purples.  Two Purples were my weight (but a few years younger), but the Brown and other Purple were about 20-30lbs lighter (but roughly my age).  Overall it was a good night training.  Got tapped multiple times and didn't tap anyone.  But I wasn't worried about tapping.  Tonight was about testing what I know and what I want to know.

What I know.  Spider sweep off a pass.  Yes.  It worked.  Every time.  Minor complications easily adjusted.  So  I worked other open guard options.  Knee push, 50/50, curu-curu, de la riva, berimbolo, etc.  Got many sweeps.  Got many more almost sweeps.  Struggled with guard passing.  Also got swept too many times due to exhaustion and superior technique from my opponent.  But tonight wasn't about the negatives.  I put myself in uncomfortable positions with upper belts to test what I know and what I need to work on.  Overall, pleased with the results.  But I have a lot to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment