Wednesday, September 8, 2010

DL Day 11

Feeling gimpy...

Good warm-up followed by stretches and right into techniques. Professor Jake taught 3 chokes from side control when opponent has good cross-face defense. I'll file the last choke, which involves use of your gi lapel, far in the back of my mind. It felt sooo awkward. The first two chokes are very doable and I'm glad to have a couple choke options from side control in my repertoire.

Sat out a couple rolls and worked core, ankle weights, and rotator cuffs. Worked sweep/pass the guard with a Blue Belt instead of sparring. Well...no sweeps. He basically crushed my guard the entire time. Couldn't do a darned thing to stop him. He said I missed an arm bar opportunity. Yeah... I realized that. But I didn't have it by the time I remembered the arm bar steps. So we worked some arm bar drills. Ok... I'd still rather shoot triangles. ;-)

Worked sweep/ pass the guard with Joe (White Belt) next. Swept him several times and caught him in an arm bar (non-standard). He asked how long I've been training and seemed relieved to know I have 4x his experience. C'mon Joe! Hang in there! It's only been 1 month man!

Worked with another Blue Belt at the end. He passed my guard and executed one of the side control chokes we learned today. I fought it for a while, but he finally locked it in. I trapped his right arm from closed guard and almost had an arm bar, but he escaped.

Professor Jake said he's recovering from an LCL sprain. His injury sounds very similar to mine. His advice wasn't very encouraging. In essence, he said I'd likely have one knee problem or another as long as I continue the sport. No bueno!

No comments:

Post a Comment