Wednesday, September 15, 2010

5:40 to 8:40p

5:40 to 6p: Stretched. Chatted with Professor Marco about my experience at UNIJJ.

6-7p: Self defense class. Keeping the post short, but worked basic grip/choke escapes to submissions, a strong hand-shake submission, using legs from back to maintain distance and a kimura from side control.

7-7:30p: Warm-ups, standard drills, and guard pull drills. Then guard pass drills rotating bottom-top every three minutes and then different partners every few minutes. Learned a couple half guard techniques from Rusty (Brown Belt), but none came close to working on Collin (another Brown Belt). Not that I expected them too... :-)

7:30-8p: Techniques. Three sweeps from guard. Pendulum, arm drag to pendulum variation, and flower sweep.

8-8:30p: Rolls. 6 minute rounds. Got Ken (Purple Belt), Nick (17yr old white belt), Rusty (Brown Belt), and Chris (Blue Belt). Rolls with Ken and Rusty were slow and instructional. Tried to get Rusty to attack with impunity and force me to survive or tap...that didn't last too long. He choked me a couple times and switched to instructor mode.

Roll with Nick was interesting. He's quite the brawler. Really doesn't mind rolling very hard. He swept me with hip bump sweep to mount. I'd escape mount or wait for arm bar attempt and escape back to his open guard. He'd hip bump sweep to mount. I'd again escape... Went through that combination the entire roll. Fun time.

Roll with Chris was fun too, although he yanked my shoulder a bit on a kimura. Locked in the figure four on a kimura from north-south. I defended like crazy. He forced a break and cranked the kimura. I blurted out in pain. Ripped on my left shoulder (yeah...the one with two surgeries, including a capsular shift that made that joint far less flexible than my right shoulder). Chris apologized profusely. Said he got caught up in the moment. Apology accepted. Seemed like I spent most of the roll bailing to turtle or getting dominated in north-south.

Scale at gym today said 204lbs with sweat soaked gi pants. That sounds about right. The other two scales that reported 192lbs yesterday cannot be trusted...

8:30-8:40p: Stretched.

3 comments:

  1. That scale at Magazine Street school is about 10 pounds of in the light direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense. The scale at my hotel now has a sign on it that says it is off. The temp replacement scale is in line with the scale at Gino's place in Mid City. Still need to lose a few pounds to make sure I'm under 207.5 with a gi.

    ReplyDelete