Tuesday, September 14, 2010

5 Months

I'm still training! Victory! Feel great. Love where I am in my journey. So stoked to go to class every day and excited to see my body continue to respond (positively) to the high activity level. Two separate scales said I weigh 192lbs (after workout and without gi). That can't be correct. That would mean I lost 10lbs in 5 days. So...going to weigh myself again tomorrow night. Probably around 200lbs. Now, to last month's goals:

1. Make an average of 4 classes per week, with no less than 3 in a week.
Grade = C. Looks like I only made 15 classes last month. Not quite 4 per week average. Didn't make 3 classes one of the weeks. Knee injury is primary reason, but I did chose to skip a few classes to do things with friends. Life interrupts.

2. Stretch before and after all workouts.
Grade = D. Missed a few pre-class stretches and forgot to stretch after class too often.

3. Practice what I learn. Implement technique of the day during rolls.
Grade = F. This is HARD to do for a beginner. Rarely do I recognize an opportunity to implement the technique of the day. It doesn't just happen. I think I'd have to make it happen. Need to start thinking about how I could put myself in a position to use the technique of the day. That should be a new goal...work to achieve position required to implement technique of the day.

4. Take a few private lessons before heading back to New Orleans.
Grade = F. Found out how expensive privates are after I set this goal. Not in the budget now. Thinking about asking Professor if I can approach one of the purple belts and see if they want to stay after class for 30 minutes or so a couple times per week for a "private." Perhaps I could arrange a much lower fee. Say...$20 for 30 mins?.

5. Work core. Extra hip/core solo drills before workouts. Each week, complete half the P90 X Core Synergies and the entire Ab Ripper X routines.
Grade = B. Did a lot of hip/core work this month, just not enough P90 X.

6. Eat better. More greens and fruit. Less bread. Smaller portions all around.
Grade = B+. Making much better choices. Portion size still an issue. What can I say? I'm hungry and I love food!

7. Sleep more. Strive for 8hrs, but no less than 7hrs.
Grade = A-. Good sleep while at home in San Diego, but the last few days here in New Orleans haven't been so good. Evening workouts (AND THIS BLOG!) keep me up to 11:30p or midnight. Have to be up at 6:15am for work. No bueno.


Goals for Month 6:

  1. Make an average of 4.5 classes per week, with no less than 4 in a week.
  2. Make at least one Kickboxing class per week and Friday Judo class when in town.
  3. Stretch before and after all workouts with special emphasis on post-workout stretches.
  4. Practice what I learn. Go into every roll with strategy to obtain positions required to practice the technique of the day, even if that means letting my opponent take a superior position.
  5. When not practicing what I learn, work chokes. Primarily chokes from side control, north south, and mount. But...front gi chokes from guard are ok too. ;-)
  6. Inquire about cheap privates...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the first step in your journey. It looks like you are making good progress. I very much like the idea of short and long term realistic goals. If more novices had your approach, then more would stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mr. Judo! I'm pleased with my progress, although most of the progress I notice has to do with my body's adaptation to the training intensity. Enjoy stopping by your blog to get your perspective on training both BJJ and Judo.

    ReplyDelete