Tuesday, August 31, 2010

DL Day 3

Knee is still tweaked, although I don't think it's that bad in the grand scheme of things. Not much trouble with a 5+ mile hike this morning through a local canyon with my son and father-in-law. Walking, stairs, etc., don't seem to cause any pain or discomfort. I haven't tried jogging yet. Posts/pivots, squats, and kneeling to stand up is moderately painful and simply doesn't feel right. Professor Leo said to ice it three times daily. I iced it once today... Need to get better with that.

Went to class this morning anyway. Worked core while the guys warmed up. Joined in for take down set-up drills, although I didn't do many and the reps I did were very slow. Observed the technique portion. Good review of two options from side control. First, the kimura with arm-bar option in response to a common kimura defense. The second, a very quick spin around armbar.

Worked core and upper body during the rolls. Hundreds of crunches. About 50 push-ups, with more than half from knees. Ankle weights and leg lifts. Plus stretch chord stuff to work hip flexors. Worked up a good sweat.

I'm considering a couple weeks off from rolling and most technique drills. I would continue to show up to class (keep the habit) and work core and upper body as hard as possible as an alternative. Even if I'm feeling a little better...no need rush the recovery. Hopefully I'll be 100% by the time I return to NOLA BJJ on 9/13.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rick,
    just wanted to say i love the idea for this blog. I thought about doing something similar to this, seems like such a good way to chart progress and remember techniques. Keep up the good work, and i'll see you at nola in a few days. Glad you'll be back for a bit!
    -Steve
    p.s. Got my blue belt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Steve! 'Bout time! Too bad I missed the gauntlet. Cleveland should be next if he hasn't been promoted already.

    I think the blog has helped improve my game. Not because I go back and read it, but because writing it forces me to focus more during sessions ('cause I know I'm going to write about it later) and then reflect about the workout later in the day (basically replay the training in my mind). Look forward to rolling again. See you in Lakeview on 9/13!

    ReplyDelete