Thursday, August 5, 2010

11:50a to 1:40p

11:50a-12:05p: Stretched. Large crowd today. Couple browns, few purples, boat load of blues, and a three other white belts.

12:05-12:25p: Good warm-up and standard drills. I enjoy Professor Leo's warm-ups. He always takes the time to stretch before going into techniques.

12:25-12:55p: Two sweeps from deep half guard. Nice. More ammo for the half guard trap I've found myself in countless times. frame, hip bump, insert hook, bring body under leg and then hip swing until opponent lets you know which side to sweep to. Drilled this a lot. Got tired.

12:55-1:30p: Rolls. 7 minute rounds. Got Eva (visiting Blue Belt). I could tell she was exhausted. She and her three buddies visiting from Germany had been training twice per day since Monday so it was her 7th class in four days. Had good command of most of the roll and took her back at one point that led to a bow and arrow choke.

Second up was Justin. It was his second class. Justin is in his mid-20s, about my size (but much much stronger), has an extensive wrestling background, and is in tip-top physical shape. I figured we were in for a fight, but I didn't realize he'd go on the attack as aggressively as he did from the get-go. I defended well enough and waited for opportunities. Got him with a guillotine (first time for that submission!) and an RNC. I didn't have either very deep and was surprised by the taps. He said I had them tight, but I know I've had those chokes much deeper on others without a tap. He probably realized he messed up and wanted to start over. Not a bad attitude to have for a beginner I suppose. Later in the roll I had him in open guard with grips on both hand cuffs, my knees inside his arms with feet on hips. I shot a triangle like we worked earlier in the week. Justin immediately/reflexively postured up by leaning into me, hands on chest, and standing up. I grabbed his left arm, pinned to my chest (at this point only my upper back and neck were on the mat) and launched my leg over his head to finish the arm bar. Today was a day of firsts. I'd never done a triangle to arm bar combo in a roll before!

Third roll with Collin (Blue Belt). It wasn't long before I gave up my back again. I really need to find out why I'm doing this so often. It really slows down the game. I spent a lot of time trying to establish back survival posture to maneuver for the escape. Collin spent a lot of time attacking my neck and looking for opportunities to transition to mount or seated mount. We probably spent more than half the roll in this game. Near the end, Collin tried to sink a choke, but didn't have my neck (gi lapel across my chin bone). I wasn't in any danger at all but I could tell he was burning energy. He finally released and gave me the opportunity for escape. Escaped to elevator to single leg take down and passed to side control fairly quickly. He recovered half guard. I managed to lock in the cross face and began maneuvering for an arm triangle. He put up a solid fight by pressing down on my head as I tried to snake it under his tricep to lock the shoulder against his carotid. I recall asking myself whether it was wise to pit my smaller neck muscles against his much stronger lat/delt/tricep group. I knew the answer to that question, but couldn't figure out what to do about it. Eventually he hip escaped and rolled over (so I had him in half guard). But I held onto the lock to maintain his broken posture. Buzzer rang. Collin said he was worried about the arm triangle attack. He said he would have kept trying too, but at some point would have used it to distract for a pass from half guard to side control or mount. Makes sense. He also said I should have abandoned the grip once he reversed. Also makes sense. Thanks Collin!

Last up was Chris (visiting 4-stripe white belt). Chris is leaving for Germany on the 15th. I'm heading to Washington (State) to visit relatives this weekend, so it was our final encounter until next summer when he expects to return for more training (likely with his Blue Belt). I got my butt kicked all over the mat. Couple chokes. Triangle. Arm bar. It was really a poor showing on my part. I was exhausted, but that's no excuse. Chris is my age and this morning was his 7th training session in 4 days. He simply kicked my butt. No way to sugar coat it. Had a great time though.

1:30-1:40p: Cool-down / stretches. I read an article in the latest issue of Gracie Mag that encouraged stretching after training. I'm going to try to make post-class stretching a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment