Thursday, August 12, 2010

10:20a to 12:15p

10:20-10:30a: Arrived at Foster BJJ & MMA and met coach Foster. Signed the waiver, changed, and joined a fairly large group of guys for a morning class. I wasn't the oldest or the biggest on the mat. Lots of big white belts too. Nice.

10:30-10:50a: Warm-up spars at 20%. The goal: get warm without breathing hard or sweating. Got Todd (Black Belt), Vinh (Purple), and Coach Foster. Wasn't quite sure what to do. I'd never rolled at 20% before. Coach Foster explained that I should do it from time to time because it will help me see holes in my game and learn to stay tight. I'll have to find a drilling partner who understands "20%"!

10:50-11:05a: Core work. Several different core/hip exercises. High reps. Worked up a good sweat. Left hip a bit stiff/sore when compressed.

11:05-11:30a: Arm bar technique from guard Not a traditional arm bar. Walk legs up the back, pick side (chose to attack opponent's right arm), bring left leg to opponent's right hip, angle to opponent's left side but without creating too much space between opponent, shoot right leg up and over opponent's left side of back (clamp down, almost like a triangle), shoot left leg posted on top of opponent's right arm and lock right ankle under back side of left achilles, latch down on the leg across the back to trap arm and collapse posture, then bring left leg over head, apply pressure, raise hips, opponent taps... I worked with a large guy, broad shoulders, etc. Had a lot of trouble getting my left leg up on top of his shoulder while also keeping my right leg high on his back. The key to the move is getting the shoulder trapped. From that position you have the arm bar, shoulder lock, americana variation, omo plata, straight arm lock, triangle, etc... Might try that again with a smaller (narrower) opponent and see if it's easier. Once I get the movement down, perhaps I'll have better luck with a larger opponent.

11:30a-12p: Rolls. 5 guys took a place on the mat (by rank). Next 5 in line (by rank) picked someone and started rolling. Another 5 guys were waiting to rotate in. I think the rolls were 4-5 minutes. Got Matt first. Matt's slightly bigger than me. Also a 2-stripe white belt. I pulled guard and we spent the entire roll in open guard. He'd work a pass, I'd defend. I'd work a sweep, he'd defend. I wasn't expending too much energy on my back. Just trying to work various open guard positions (spider, scissor/knee shield, De la Riva and tripod set up, etc.). Time ran out and I got back in line (4-5 minute break).

Second roll with Tim, a white belt, somewhat smaller than me. Tim had sparred the two prior rolls, so I was #3 in a row. Could tell he was a bit tired. Passed guard and spent a while securing side control. At one point went to north south and tried to trap an overhooking arm to set up for a kimura, but Tim slid out forcing me to fight to recover side control. Abandoned the side control attacks and transitioned to quick mount. Began working a choke and he upa'd. Opened my guard and fought to insert knee shields with spider grips. Waited for the right time and shot a triangle. Almost had it locked in and time ran out. Got back in line and rested another 4-5 minutes.

Third roll with Vinh (Purple belt). Vinh is big and strong. Coach Foster and Todd were joking earlier when he pulled guard during his roll with Todd. Apparently he doesn't do that very often? He sure didn't with me. From sit up he basically bulldozed me onto my back. I immediately attempted to pull guard but could only lock in a weak open guard (one foot on hip and one foot in ankle lock danger). Spent the entire roll fighting for escapes and guard recovery. Escaped a couple back attacks via back survival posture and scoop. Doubt Vinh was rolling anywhere near 100%, but he we were both breathing hard and it seemed like he had a good time. I sure did.

12-12:15p: Helped mop the mats. Apparently everyone helps clean up (vacuum, trash, clean mats, etc.). Nice to see everyone just jump into action and help out. I think I'll donate a mop/bucket/cleaner when I get back to New Orleans and clean the mats at least once a week.

Looking forward to a few more classes at Foster (and meeting Steve) before heading back to San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment