Wednesday, August 4, 2010

8:50 to 10:30a

8:50-9:15a: Stretched. Waited for instructor who never showed. Must have been a miscommunication. Only five of us this morning (Isaac - Megton 3-stripe blue belt and world champ, showed up later). Four under 18 years of age and me, the old guy.

9:15-9:30a: Michael started warm-ups and standard drills. Added 5 full minutes of core exercises at our own pace. Exhausting. Extra sore and tired this morning.

9:30-9:40a: Triangle drills. Closed guard with cuff and cross collar grip. Open guard to hip escape to bring both legs inside arms and on hips. Grab both cuffs. Shoot one leg up top to break posture, lock, bring opposite arm across, grab shin and position, re-lock, squeeze, pull head.

9:40-10a: Omoplata set up and finish technique. Good to see this two days in a row. Allowed me to focus on the finer technical points. Michael also showed a hip escape technique to break opponent's posture even more and prevent a roll-out.

10-10:30a: Rolls. 7 minute rounds. Rolled with Russell (17yr old Orange Belt) first. Good rolling around, but I could tell he was getting tired near the end. I caught him in a cross choke from mount and an arm bar from side control. Both techniques I learned recently in class (here and here).

Got Michael next. Michael hardly broke a sweat. Had me in all sorts of weak positions. Rolled out of omoplata twice. He finally got me in an arm bar with only seconds left on the clock.

Third up was Angelo (14 year old orange belt). Angelo moves quickly. I hopped around his guard defenses numerous times, but he managed to recover guard almost every time. Eventually I secured a pass and transitioned straight to mount. From mount I stuck the cross choke. Angelo made me work the entire time. He's a monster for his age/size.

Sat out the last roll (odd number of classmates) and watched Michael and Isaac roll. Pretty fun jiu jitsu. Michael secured a number of submissions and Isaac was gassed. Isaac - you better hit the stairs and work some cardio man! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment