Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Grips like a Sailor


Recently returned from an overnight sailing trip with my gramps. Gramps built a 28ft allwood trimaran from a mail order plans he purchased almost 40 years ago. It took him 35 years to get the boat sea worthy. I have made it to Bremerton, WA the last few summers to sail with him.


I had great difficulty wenching sail lines by hand the past few years. I thought that a few months of BJJ would greatly improve my sailing grips. Wrong. Although stronger than last year, I have a lot of catching up to do. My 75 year old gramps managed to wench lines by hand (with ease) that I couldn't budge without a mechanical crank. Quite impressive really. Hopefully my sail line wenching grips will be much improved by next year.

Training Note: Missed class tonight. I tried to make the 5:30-7p session at Foster BJJ in Kent, WA (about 30 mins from where I'm staying), but an earlier hike ran long and I ended up with the wrong directions. Hope to hit the mats again tomorrow and meet up with Steve for Friday night's class.

No comments:

Post a Comment