Tuesday, August 3, 2010

11:45a to 1:35p

11:45a-12p: Arrived early to stretch. I need to get back in the habit of arriving early to stretch. I'm remarkably flexible in most joints (have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility Disorder); however, like everyone, I still need to stretch to avoid injury from cold workouts. Also, my inside hamstring and hips need some work. For some reason those muscles/joints didn't get the genetic clue that I'm supposed to be rubber man. EDS has been a curse my whole life...until I found BJJ. Over ten years ago, I never thought I'd do anything physical again. I may write about my journey from a life of EDS-induced chronic pain to training an average of four times per week. But now is not the time...

12-12:15p: Warm-up / standard drills. It was hot in the gym today (not Austin hot...but hot for me). Lots of sweat.

12:15-12:25p: Worked a variety of hip escape drills. One thing I really appreciate about the University of Jiu Jitsu is the emphasis they place on hip / core movement. Obviously fundamental to BJJ, but the emphasis on these muscle groups and basic hip movement is far greater here than at my school in New Orleans.

12:25-12:35p: Partnered up and drilled a hip escape to Omoplata set up technique. Start in open guard with both feet on hips. Cross grip the collar with solid grip on opponent's other hand/sleep (same side as the cross-grip). Worked both sides.

12:35-12:50p: Added most of the omoplata technique. Shoot leg through, stuff the hand down, cock the leg back to break posture against vulnerable arm, sweep head and throw leg over the head/face. Didn't switch grips, grap hip, and sit up to finish though. Just repeated the set up many many times.

12:50-1p: Sweep / pass the guard drills starting from the omoplata set up grips. Defended the omoplata fine with my first partner (Chris - 4 stripe visiting white belt from Germany), but got caught once by Eric (brand new white belt with a wrestling background).

1-1:35p: Rolls. 7 minute rounds. Had Chris (visiting 4-stripe White Belt) the first round. Chris is my age (34). Taller, but a bit lighter. He's fairly athletic and has a bundle of energy. I was in trouble the entire roll. He caught me in two arm bars from seated mount (one on each side). Not sure why, but my seated mount escape hasn't been very effective lately. His leg pressure was intense and I couldn't execute Saulo's arm bar escape, which is my last line of defense when the seated mount escape fails.

Got Eric (new White Belt with wrestling background) for my second roll. We had a good roll. I was able to execute a number of escapes and reversals, but nothing that amounted to a legitimate attack or threat. Exhausted after the roll.

Third roll with Richie. Richie is a giant of a man. Probably 6'4" around 250lbs and not a lick of body fat. He's a professional MMA fighter/trainer. A White Belt, but only because he has limited to zero gi experience. Let's just say I got worked. The pressure was intense. Very explosive. He executed a kimura so quickly (when I had him in closed guard no less) I actually feared my shoulder would rip out of joint. I blurted "Ok" as soon as I realized what he did. He also trapped me in an omoplata and I almost broke my neck trying to roll out. Scary parts aside, I managed a fleeting moment of respectable jiu jitsu during the roll. Collapsed his knees together, stuffed, then walked around for the guard pass. As soon as I took side control (on his right side), Richie underhooked with his left arm. I trapped his left arm against my head and began to pull my elbow and trapped arm toward his solar plexus. When done properly, the pressure triggers a reflex to turn into me on his right side at which point I had planned to step around his head, grab his left leg with my left hand, and lay back for the arm bar. I never got the solar plexus. Professor Kadu coached him hip escape and create space before I had the trapped arm set and posture for the step around. He escaped to guard recovery. Professor Kadu apologized for coaching my opponent. No problem. It's part of the game and we're all on the same team. But...for a moment there I thought I was about to gain at least an advantage point on a much larger professional fighter! ;-) At the very end of the roll Richie set up for the arm bar from side control. He was pulling hard on my bicep. I couldn't get a lick of space with Saulo's arm bar escape so I thought I was done. He kept pulling on my bicep, but I was completely safe. I finally looked at him and said, "It's a lever. Pull the lever." He kept the bicep trapped with hook and grabbed the wrist to pull the lever and complete the arm bar. Richie said that in "his sport" you force the break before reaching for the lever. I guess that would make sense given how slippery no gi opponents can be. I hope I get another chance to roll with him. He's big, powerful, scary...everything I need to get better (so long as I can avoid injury).

Final roll was with Eva (Blue Belt). Eva's one of the visitors from Germany. I probably have 100 lbs on her, but she's tough as nails. When on the attack (which wasn't often), I was careful not to squish her. But other than that, it was straight up rolling. She's very strong and fast, even when compared to guys her size. Forced me into turtle several times and went for an arm bar from side control/seated mount (I was rolled away from her in a weak running escape attempt), but Saulo's arm bar escape worked as advertised. Good roll.

Overall Impressions: I was absolutely exhausted at the end of workout today. Pressed my body to the limit (maybe a little beyond). Now, several hours later, I can tell I'm going to be extra sore in time for tomorrow's 9am class. Wowzers. Need some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment