Tuesday, August 24, 2010

7:30-9:05a

7:30-7:45a: First day back at UNIJJ and first day they started early morning classes. Barely made it in time to suit up and get on the mat before line-up. Missed stretches. Warm-ups seemed a bit rushed, but I was hurting a bit at the end. Only finished about 90% of the push-ups from knees. I'm an old man and need to warm up more than 15 minutes early in the morning.

7:45-8:35a: Long technical session taught by Professor Jake. Two triangle variations and an arm bar as well as a triangle to armbar in response to predictable triangle defense. Then finished with proper triangle defense.

8:35-9a: Rolls. 6 minutes. Sat out first roll due to odd number of classmates. Got Brent for my first roll (his second). Brent is a 36yr old Marine. About 5'9" and 185lbs or so. 2nd day training in class, but he has a long wrestling background and said he's rolled with other marines for a while who train at UNIJJ. He was charging pretty hard. Trying to smash passes. Worked on controlling the roll tempo and improving position/grips in response to his smashes. Highlights included a tripod sweep, back mount with both hooks that led to a bow-and-arrow choke, turtle roll out to open guard, and a deep half guard sweep. Most importantly though, I wasn't breathing very hard at the end of the roll.

Last roll with YJ (3-stripe Blue Belt). Professor Jake joked that YJ is part ninja, which I believe. He's very solid. Didn't have a whole lot to offer this roll. Sloppy on my part and I felt like I was always trying to avoid one attack or another only to find myself in a different sort of mess. At one point he had my back and I struggled to defend chokes and maneuver hips for the escape. YJ stopped the roll and and gave me a few pointers. Showed me how to recover half guard if the full escape to side control isn't available. Funny. He thinks recovery to half guard is better than giving up the back. Although he's obviously right, I cringe at the thought of getting stuck under someone. Need to work on it.

9-9:05a: Stretched a little. YJ showed me the back escape to half guard recovery again while working with JJ.

Surfing this evening and tomorrow morning. Swell's hitting. Can't wait to get wet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment