Monday, October 15, 2012

A New Belt and a New Focus

Last week I had the great honor to be promoted to Faixa Roxa by Master Saulo Ribeiro.  I have to admit that I'd hoped to stay Blue a bit longer (I've only trained 2.5yrs), but have to trust in the good will of my instructor.

If I compare myself to others my age/size (when sparring) and consider my competition record, then I'm very comfortable with the promotion.  But my "game" is pretty narrow.  I have a real hard time with many positions that I would think should be basic for purple belts.  So after I get back from NOLA next week I have decided to focus on those weaknesses.  It's time to broaden my base and improve my overall game.

I plan to start with closed guard.  Instead of avoiding closed guard or opening my guard as soon as possible, I will fight to get to closed guard and keep it there as long as possible to work subs and sweeps.  Once I've developed something that resembles a competent closed guard game I'll move on to half guard.  That's my plan anyhow.

Here's a video of the promotion ceremony, including two Black Belts.  My highlights are at 10:45 (promotion) and 19:25 (gauntlet)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new belt. May it help you take your game to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John and Megan. It just holds your pants up, right?

    ReplyDelete