Saturday, November 6, 2010

10:30a to 1:45p

10:30-11a: Stretched then rolled for 10 minutes or so with a Purple Belt visiting from Gladiators Academy (where Tim Credeur trains) in Baton Rouge. Forget his name... Great roll. Loved it. On defense almost the entire time, but some of my escapes landed me in good position to attack from the top. Didn't last long though as he quickly put me back on defense. He caught an arm bar at the very end. I had escaped the same attack two other times, but the last time he figured out what I was doing and adjusted.

11-11:20a: Warm-up / standard drills. Professor Matthias led. Fantastic warm-up. Could only complete 10 of the 20 judo push-ups. Left shoulder still not 100%.

11:20-11:30a: Sweep / pass the guard. Had a draw, lost a scramble, and got swept by a visiting Purple Belt (not the same one I rolled with before class) who was going completely crazy. Seriously. Never experienced anything like it. All muscle and force. It was like he was trying to hurt me! Allowed that sweep just so I could get away from the guy. Too old and gimpy to work with someone like that.

11:30a-12p: Technique. Review. Self defense technique first. Front choke escape to take down set up. Then fundamentals. Side control escape to elevator and single-leg set up. Partner stuffs the single-leg attempt, cross faces, circle around and establish base while partner turtles. Get grips and roll to back. Then a standard two lapel gi choke from back.

12-12:30p: Rolls. 6 minute rounds. Got Dr. Steve (Blue Belt), Matt (White Belt), and Louis (White Belt). Training with Steve is always a great experience. He caught me with an arm bar. Seems to be the only guy who regularly and soundly defeats my trusty escape. Need to think of something else...like avoidance. Gave Matt a few guard tips. Louis is the very large White Belt that gave me one heck of a time earlier this week. Not sure what was different today, but I didn't get stuck and managed a couple sweeps, took mount a few times, and got a gi choke from mount. Maintaining side control and mount was extremely difficult. Louis did a great job frustrating my attempts to secure each position before advancing.

12:30-12:45p: Watched Professor Matthias roll with the visiting Purple Belt from Gladiators Academy. Matthias played catch and release. Always in control. Several solid, slow technical sweeps. Made it look easy. Great to watch.

12:45-1:45p: Private with Matthias. Worked on cuff grip breaks, posture maintenance in guard, guard break and pass, open guard posture and toreando pass, north-south escapes, etc. Almost too much information - which was my fault for asking too many questions - but I picked up a few good tips and had a couple "light bulb" moments when he explained how a couple instinctive responses are almost the opposite of what I should be doing.

1 comment: