Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Worlds and Louisiana Open

I'm behind on my posts, I know.  I went to the Long Beach Pyramid for high expectations of a solid performance at the Master/Senior Worlds a few weeks back.  It didn't happen.  I botched my guard pull (landed in half guard) and it was down hill from there.  Lost 3-0.  My opponent went on to take Gold, handily, and earned his Purple on the medal stand.  Good for him.

Poor performance at Worlds notwithstanding, Master Saulo found me worthy for promotion the day after my loss.  This past Saturday was my first tournament at Purple Belt.  Had four fights at the Louisiana Open in New Orleans.  Scored over 50pts.  My opponents scored 0; not even an advantage.  I caught one guy in my division final (choke from back).

I got tapped by the Ultra Heavy champ in the Open final after being up either 3 or 5-0.  I was in top have and basically put my skull in a vice grip.  He's a very large, strong, southern boy.  He got a hold of my head in a modified head lock and started squeezing.  I wasn't choking but the pressure and pain was intense.  My neck felt threatened.  I calmly thought through my options.  Pain?  No problem.  I can put up with it.  But how long would I have to wait until he let go?  But what if instead of letting go he started cranking and twisting?  Good chance my neck would be jacked.  What if I tried to muscle out?  Good chance I'd hurt my neck.  So I tapped.

Overall I'm very pleased with my first performance at Purple Belt.  Looking forward to Grappling X in San Diego next month.  And the IBJJF Fall Open in December.


8 mats.  Packed house.  Great tournament.


Plenty of knee on belly this tourney.  Getting quite comfortable with sweeps and passes to knee on belly.  

2 comments:

  1. congrats on tearing it up in nola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Rowdy! Felt good. Especially after the disappointing result at Worlds.

    ReplyDelete