Wednesday, November 10, 2010

No winner vs. loser in training

5:30-5:40p: Quick warm-up.

5:40-5:50p: Grip break and take down set up drills. Increased resistance each round.

5:50-6p: Sweep / pass the guard. Purple (only seen him around a couple times) caught me in a kimura. Hard too. Woody (Blue) had me tied up in spider knots. The spider break Dolph wrote about tonight is my go-to break, but I couldn't get it.

6-6:30p: Technique. Spider sweeps (arm dragish) and submissions (triangle and bicep slicer). A bit too much for one night for me, but wrapping a leg around an arm instead of putting it straight into the bicep and extending was new and something I can build from in the future. I've seen it done before, but never really went over it so that small nugget will stick with my game. I'll need to see the other techniques a few more times before I try to add anything to my bag-o-tricks.

6:30-7p: Rolls. Got Richie (Blue), newer White (forgot his name), and Woody (Blue). 6 minute rounds. Great sessions. Lots of reversals/sweeps (all around). Woody caught me in a triangle. I tried to remember the escape Gavin showed me on Monday, but no...had it all wrong. Woody set me straight after the tap. The newer White is smaller than me. And stronger too! He had no problem completely destroying my posture with pure force. Surprising actually. Spent most of the roll trying to pass his guard. Finally passed and took mount, but he reversed. After Professor called time, he said something to the effect that it was a draw. Caught me off-guard. Draw? Really? I didn't know we were keeping score. To me...draw infers there is such a thing as winning and losing in training. I don't subscribe to that approach. To play is to win. I won by getting triangled. Woody reminded me of the escape. I think we're both better for the experience...we both won.

7-8p: Self defense class. Worked four techniques. (1) When someone grabs your coat/shirt/lapel with one fist grip. Cup the grip from underneath. Keep your other arm close to side. Push attacker's elbow out. Step once, step twice, to bring elbow around and behind back. Apply arm lock, wrist lock, or take back. (2) Attacker grabs neck with both hands from behind. Base out. Shrug and bring chin down. Reach behind to grip both attacker's hands. Choose one. Peel off and step out. Apply wrist lock. (3) Bully head lock escape. Base out. Extend arms and hips. Control outside arm to prevent punches. Hold head lock hand and step out once, step out twice, and pull arm behind attacker's back. (4) Attacker pushes you against the wall with a single fist in center of chest gripping shirt/hacket/lapel. Inside hand comes in to break wrist angle. Outside hand grips behind elbow/tricep and pulls arm into your chest. Creates a wrist lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment