Monday, November 8, 2010

6 to 8:40p

6-7p: Private with Gavin. Worked kimura, d'arce, and brabo survival from half guard and a nifty half guard sweep when opponent has you crushed and flat on back. Also worked arm bar, triangle, and omoplata survival/escapes from within guard.

7-7:15p: Warm-up / standard drills. Shawn (Purple) led. Good warm-up, although I could have jogged a bit longer.

7:15-7:25p: Sweep / pass the guard. Submissions allowed this time. Cleveland got a scissor sweep on me. My foot got stuck and wouldn't give way to the sweep even though all my weight was moving across it. Scared me and hurt like crazy, but I think it's fine. Collin (Brown) caught me in a front gi cross choke as I thought I was passing his guard. He baited me good. Doc Ken (Purple) got me off balance and stood up... I clearly didn't learn anything on Saturday...need to review the posture maintenance and guard passing techniques. Hard to practice techniques that are apparently quite hazy in my own head.

7:25-7:50p: Technique. Transitions between different side control positions. Learned a paper cutter choke and another choke that uses your gi lapel.

7:50-8p: Full speed drills from side control. Top tries to submit. Bottom tries to escape. Worked with Rogelio (White). Escaped to guard recovery well enough and got a paper cutter.

8-8:30p: Rolls. Four 5-minute rounds. Really? Too short. Wish we would do three 8-minute rounds with no more than 2 minutes between rounds. Maybe some day. Got Nick (4-stripe White), Rogelio (White), Richie (Blue), and Shawn (Purple).

Nick's hip bump sweeps are wicked. Defended a few, but he got one. Escaped his mount and recovered guard. Got a sweep off a pass. I really couldn't do much else. 5 minutes was up and we both felt like we were just getting started. With Cleveland's recent promotion, Nick's easily the toughest White Belt in our academy (in my opinion...).

Rogelio is pretty new to NOLA BJJ. He's a big kid (I think he's 18 or so) and likes to roll hard. Not sure what I did wrong, but he took my back during a pass attempt. But most of roll was about controlling the pace and executing sweeps and submissions slowly and deliberately. Got a sweep from closed guard (not sure what you call it) and a sweep off a pass. Also got an arm bar from mount (technique Professor Matthias taught a couple times the last couple weeks - transition from grapevines to technical mount with knee up next to head and switch to s-mount with both arms locked up before posting and bring leg over) and a front gi choke from guard. Again...control was the goal.

Never rolled with Richie before. Tall guy, but probably 30-40lbs lighter than me. I've seen him roll and am very impressed. I don't remember much, other than I didn't really have a lot to offer. I believe I passed his guard though since I remember how easily he inserted the knee and recovered guard. Took my back as well and tied up my right arm. I thought he was about to shoot for an arm bar from the back, but it never came. Eventually I escaped. Again...5 minutes is too short.

Shawn showed me how he approaches a palm-up / palm-down choke from mount. His approach is very similar to Roger Gracie's. 3 minutes left to roll. I was Shawn's cool down. I almost passed his guard, but he recovered half guard and then full guard. Not sure what I did wrong, but he shot an omoplata. Good thing Gavin showed me how to survive the omoplata! I survived for quite a while, but could not escape. After a lengthy struggle, I ended up off the mat and we reset as time expired. Might as well have tapped. Although I was comfortable defending and never felt any serious pressure on the joint, I couldn't get out.

Is it a problem that I can finish 4 rolls without breathing very hard? I know I'm working under a New Normal philosophy, but geez.

8:30-8:40p: Stretched. Felt great. I can now comfortably put both legs behind my head. Nice. If only I could do the splits!

No comments:

Post a Comment