Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hello Inverted Guard!

5:20-5:30p: Stretched. Grabbed Chad and experimented with a sweep off a pass to x-guard transition I'd been thinking about today. Not very successful.

5:30-5:45p: Warm-up / standard drills. I led. Had everyone do drills before core work and stretches. I like to transition from jogging to drills to core to keep heart rate up and then cool down with stretches. We usually stretch before drills, which brings the heart rate way down far too early (in my opinion).

5:45-6p: Sweep / pass the guard. Lost top position from first guard pass attempt (Blue). Wasn't really a sweep, but I certainly didn't pass. Got a standard knee pass from combat base (White) then a sweep off a pass variation (White). Got my guard passed (4-stripe Blue), but only after I transitioned to go go plata set up. No submissions with this drill, but I surprised myself by being able to bring the leg over the arm and across the chest (below neck) before getting passed to the opposite side. I thought I had a sweep opportunity, but then got distracted when I realized that I was actually set up to go for the go go plata.

6-6:10p: Self defense technique. Attacker grabs your collars with two straight arms. Step in, hook arm under and around to back of neck, turn in and hip throw. Secure arm on the way down, apply leg pressure, center gravity over arm, squat, lay back slowly and apply arm bar.

6:10-6:30p: Fundamentals technique. Arm drag from guard to take the back. Started with two different grip breaks. Added the Professor Doc Eddie special. Open guard arm drag and take the back via pendulum-ish motion. Never tried an arm drag while sparring. Never seem to recognize the opportunity with a resisting opponent. Some guys get it on me all the time, so I should recognize the opportunities...

6:30-7p: Rolls. 6 minute rounds. Got Richard (White), Ricky (White), and John (Blue). Richard is 51 and in town visiting from GB New Mexico in Albuquerque. He's been training since June, but has a Tae Kwon Do background. Had an easy-going roll. Ricky has been quite the challenge lately. Got swept. He took mount a couple times. Took my back. Unlike last time when I got stuck for most of the roll, I managed a few escapes. Was still on defense most of the roll. He's much larger, younger, stronger than me. I can either play defense and wait for a mistake (my default) or use a lot of muscle/force (increasingly less appealing as a strategy). Patience worked in that I survived, but had it been a competition, I'd have lost handily. But...there is no winning vs. losing in training. To Play is to Win!

Roll with John was fun. He's a bit smaller. I probably have 40lbs on him. Fast though. Got swept a few times. Got a few sweeps. Got knee on belly and a cross choke attempt, but no finish. Made a serious attempt at inverted guard for the first time. I'm flexible enough. Although completely inverted with knees pushed to mat behind my head, I feel little pressure and have no trouble breathing. Just have to get passed the instinctive voice in my head that tells me, "No...this can't be good!" But I don't know what to do from inverted guard. There has to be something there...just need to figure out. Sweeps? Subs? Saw an opportunity for a reverse triangle, but couldn't execute. That said...I'm a relatively big guy and I don't see many folks my size working inverted guard. Something I'll continue to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment