Thursday, November 11, 2010

Heavy Training Day

Off work today due to the holiday (thanks vets!), so lots of mat time.

10-10:20a: Warm-up / drills. A Blue I've never met led. Lots of tough gynastica natural moves that I could not come close to executing. Wow. I'm sooo not smooth.

10:20-10:35a: Sweep / pass the guard. Alex (Purple) hip bumped me. Professor Matthias said my posture was too high. Passed a 3-stripe Blue's guard, but only after he stuffed multiple attempts and almost swept me a couple times.

10:35-11:10a: Technique. Gator roll and brabo plus their respective escapes. A few weeks ago I didn't know what a gator roll or d'arce was. Then I got caught with them in no gi class. Still didn't know what they were doing - only knew that they forced me to tap...quickly. Great to learn these techniques.

11:10-11:30a: Rolls. 5 or 6 minute rounds. Worked with Eddie (White) and Professor Matthias. Eddie is fairly new, but he's catching on quickly. Let him work guard breaks and passes. Roll with Matthias was good. He set an aggressive pace from the start, which surprised me a bit. I ramped up my intensity a bit in an attempt to match. Soon, I was breathing nice and hard. Got a knee push sweep from reverse de la riva. A bit sloppy with the rest of the roll though. Biggest mistake I made was to allow him to cross face me when I had him in half guard. I was so busy trying to secure the hook and half guard I forgot to defend the cross face.

11:30a-12:15p: Private with Matthias. Worked guard passes from combat base. Basically review from Saturday's private, but I had so much trouble with the passes this week I wanted to see them again. Also worked de la riva set up and sweeps. A bit too much to remember, but the biggest take away that will stick is that I had the set up all wrong. We rolled a bit and looked at the cross choke from mount before calling it quits. Hesitated on top during the final roll. Thinking way too much. Afraid to do the wrong thing. Analysis paralysis.

5:15-5:30p: Showed up a bit early to flow roll with Matt (White). He's a smaller guy and unfortunately gets smashed during training and rarely gets a chance to work techniques he's learned. We took turns working passes, escapes, and sweeps. Nice and easy.

5:30-5:40p: Short warm-up / standard drills.

5:40-5:50p: Sweep / pass the guard. Got a visiting Professor Dominic (from Maui). He eventually swept me, but said I did well and complimented my base. Apparently I countered a number of legitimate attempts before he finally got the sweep. Got Professor Marco second. Wow. 2 Black Belts in one night. Marco swept me without much trouble at all when I rushed a pass attempt. Bleh. Last pass attempt vs. Ricky (White) went no where. He kept busting my posture and brought me down into his chest. A bit frustrating.

5:50-6p: Back attack/escape drills. Worked with a strong, fast high school kid (White). He was so stinking fast and slick he could literally spin around and land in my guard. I couldn't keep the back hooks long at all. He took mount on me a couple times when I botched the back escape. Started getting better with the control and had a legitimate douple lapel choke. It was deep, but he wouldn't tap. I held it long enough that he should have passed out if I really had it, so obviously I didn't have it. Let it go then transitioned to arm bar. Never got an armbar from the back before.

6-6:30p: Back escapes. Three techniques. Professor Marco showed two and Professor Dominic showed a variation of the second technique shown by Marco. The first technique is right out of Jiu Jitsu University. Elbows in and tight, protect neck, and scoop hips. Shoot single leg out while popping elbow to the mat to release hook. Hip out toward the other leg, then hip switch and come around for a single leg and commence guard pass. Second technique for when you are late and opponent gets a cross face lapel grib to set up a choke. Suppose it could work for double underhooks as well. Hold attacking arm with both hands (one on wrist and other on elbow/tricep), bridge to the back and side opposite the attacking arm (if right arm is attacking, bridge to left). Put shoulder/back to the mat while smashing the leg on that side to scoop hips out. Defend against the mount attempt by framing the opponent's top leg. Hip switch to side control. Dominic's variation for technique #2 involved a head frame to keep a lot of space.

6:30-7p: Rolls. 6 minutes. Crowded again tonight. Groups of 3. Got Chet (White) and Will (Blue). Chet and Will went first. Quite a struggle. Both guys pretty tired. Sparred with a tired Chet. Got a solid guard pass (one that Matthias showed Saturday and earlier today) and a choke form the back. Will locked me up with a D'arce. I wasn't choking and it didn't hurt too badly, but I wasn't going anywhere. I was pinned. Will said he was stuck too. Eventually let it go and we moved on. Had him in open guard for quite a while. Attempted reverse and traditional de la rivas. He eventually passed. Good roll. After class Will said I had him completely off balance with the de la riva and all I had to do was push him and he'd have fallen backward. Had no clue... I was trying to force a sweep to the opposite direction. Maybe next time.

After 4hrs training on the 4th day in a row, I feel remarkably well. No unusual soreness or fatigue. Is that good or bad? Shouldn't I be more sore?

No comments:

Post a Comment