Friday, November 5, 2010

6:40-8:40p

6:40-7p: Self Defense class. Arrived late...again. Work getting busier and forcing me to leave when traffic seems to be peaking. Arghhh... Walked into a mount escape lesson. Good tips on how to feign yielding an arm when attacker tries to move to high mount. Keep arms tight and rock body to side while taking the opportunity to insert opposite arm/elbow between body and attacker's thigh to better position self for elbow escape. Looked at a couple other things, including Americana defense. I didn't know you can get a wrist lock if attacker incorrectly applies the americana. Not only did I learn how to apply the americana correctly, I learned how to respond to an incorrectly applied american and turn it into a submission!

7-8:30p: No Gi class. My second class without the gi. Started with pummeling. What? No warm-up? My body isn't ready for pummeling without a warm up. Sat out and stretched. Joined the group with an arm drag to take down drill. Then worked a closed guard posture break technique that sets you up for an arm triangle or sweep. Finally, worked a straight arm lock from guard. Similar to Saulo's closed guard arm wrap on pgs 99-100 of Jiu Jitsu University.

Then we rolled. I think it was 6 minute rounds. Got Dorian (4-stripe White Belt), Allan (White Belt), Dr. Steve (Blue Belt), new Chris (Blue Belt), and Shawn (Purple Belt). Although I was in a bit of a funk due to the lack of warm-up, the rolls didn't completely suck. If memory serves me, I think I survived all rolls without submission. and finished an ankle lock, arm bar, and triangle (against White Belts). Passed guard and took mount multiple times. Had an interesting time in deep half during several rolls. The escapes I know don't seem to translate well to no gi. But then again, a few hours after class I remembered the key step in the techniques learned earlier this week that I had forgot...

Thought I had a triangle on Chris, but he defended well and executed a nice technical escape. Fought off countless submission attempts. Spent a lot of time in turtle and trying to establish back survival posture. Steve could have had me with an arm bar (I know from experience...), but said he was working on a technical finish. I managed to escape. Had he forced my arm free, I'd have tapped. Shawn played catch and release. He almost had me with a couple kimuras, an arm bar, and a few chokes. I suspect that he would have finished in a heart beat if he was so inclined. Still, rolling with someone of his caliber felt good.

8:30-8:40p: Stretched.

No comments:

Post a Comment