Sunday, May 23, 2010

The beginning...

...of a journey. So I hear. Last month, a couple co-workers invited me to roll at NOLA BJJ. 'Til then I was a 33 year old, overweight, soft office rat whose idea of a workout involved sitting on an exercise bike reading WIRED for 30 minutes a few times a week. Ha! I still don't know how I survived that first workout but I did. The next day I could hardly walk. I never felt so bad. Then again, I'm not sure I ever felt so good.

And so it began. The journey. One that my Professor says I could pursue for at least another 30 years. Lots will happen during my middle age years. Grandparents and, likely, parents and other loved ones will pass on. And after a little over a month, I can only pray that I remain healthy enough to continue the BJJ journey into my golden years.

Middle Age BJJ is a journal of my journey. I'm not sure what I'll write about or how often. But I suspect I'll use this forum to track my technical progress, physical transformation, and personal growth. Although this journal is intended for an audience of one (me), I welcome all visitors. Feel free to share your observations, encouragement, and even criticism. If you are ever in New Orleans, stop by NOLA BJJ and let's roll.

4 comments:

  1. Dude, at 33 you are hardly MIDDLE AGED! You're scaring me-- I'm almost 38. I'm hardly middle-aged either!

    Welcome to the BJJ club. Any time you're in Austin, you have a place to stay (3 spare bedrooms, we haven't had kids yet) and a pool and a place to train. Come by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yeah, well... I guess I look at life in 3rds. Youthful third (0-33), Middle third (34-66), and Golden third (67-99). I turned 34 last week and figure I have 30-35 years of BJJ in front of me if I play my cards right. ;-) Thanks for the Austin invite. I've spent time in Houston, Texas City, and Denton...but not Austin. Too bad too. I'm a big music fan and I've studied your city quite a bit. In fact, I've published in the Planning Forum (UT student journal). Have to get there some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, congratulations on starting BJJ and having the good sense to start a blog from almost day one. I was training almost five years before starting my blog in 2008,and I've made significantly more progress because of my blog (and I get to go back and see how my game has evolved over the years).

    Second, I agree with Georgette - 33 is not middle aged. I'm also 38, and I don't even want to think of that as middle aged. Talk to me when I'm 45, 55, or 65 (and I'll probably tell you that's too young for middle age, too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the wonderful world of BJJ-Blogging my friend. It's a crazy place. You'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete