Thursday, May 27, 2010

5:30p to 7:00p

5:30-6:10p: Driving...work made me late. Missed warm-up/drills, pass the guard, and an armbar drill.

6:10-6:30p: Mount escape drills. Learned a nice umpa/bridge and worked on shrimp/hip escapes.

6:30-7p: Rolls. First roll with a white belt I'd never met. He apparently took a couple months off. Armbar'd him twice (once from mount, another from knee on belly) and americana. 2nd roll with a much smaller white belt who's been around a while. He used to work me over pretty good. We basically rolled to a draw. 3rd roll with the same white belt as my first roll (small class tonight). Kimura from north south and omoplata. He seemed pretty frustrated. I probably talked too much by explaining how he left himself open. Apparently he knew what he did wrong and didn't need me to tell him. I don't know how long he's been doing this, but he seemed fairly frustrated. 5 submissions in two rolls by a 6-wk white belt who basically told him to practice survival...probably didn't make him feel good. I'm not sure how to handle that. Do I continue to walk all over him? Back off and let him work? I'll definitely take it easier on him next time. I'm a softy and have pacifist tendencies. Wrong sport? Fourth roll was with a newly minted blue belt (promoted last night!). I don't recall ever rolling with him before. I have 50lbs on him, but he probably has 18mos to 2 yrs experience on me. Pushed him pretty hard. Passed his guard several times, but he pulled off some good escapes back to guard. I did get his back and had a very weak guillotine. No way was I going to choke him out, but I had him locked up pretty good for a minute or so. Professor started ribbing him with a couple purple belts looking on. "What's the blue belt going to do???" He eventually figured it out and escaped to my guard. We ended up reversing and I had side control. Time ran out. Fun roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment