Thursday, April 25, 2013

8 humbling mins with a white belt

One of our newer white belts, a 175lb 18yr old beast, tapped me by inverted triangle from sankaku jime (watch this).  My stubbornness and ego was the only thing between him and a few more taps before the rough 8mins was up.  The fact that he has a high school wrestling background and is a Brown Belt in judo isn't much of an excuse.  He made a LOT of mistakes.  But he was so darned fast as soon as I recognized opportunities he moved on and I couldn't capitalize.  Felt really pathetic.  A Purple should be able to control him.  I couldn't.      

2 comments:

  1. I think being humbled like that is healthy. Somehow. We'll only get better by being challenged. Those wrestlers do pose a problem though.

    Keep it up man. I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Message > messenger. I bet it will be a long time before you get caught in anybody's inverted triangle again - white belt, black belt or any belt in between.

    ReplyDelete