Sunday, June 10, 2012

Balance Work

I started practicing balance on a round ball after seeing Rodolpho Viera stand on one in his documentary (FFWD to 11:30 of part III).  I was blown away.  At the time, I couldn't sit on the ball with confidence.  So I started practicing.  It took weeks to be able to kneel on the ball and maintain position for 30 seconds or more.  Eventually I could roll the ball and jump on it to kneeling position.  It took a few months to get comfortable enough to transition from knees to combat base (one knee up).  Yesterday, for the first time, I attempted to stand.  Extremely shaky, but I got up.  Then I did it again.  Some friends wanted proof, so first thing this morning I grabbed a camera crew and got some video.



Ok...so the ball is smaller than the one I've been practicing on.  But I'm on concrete and have shoes on (I'm told it's harder with shoes).  Also, it's just a start.  I hope to be hopping on the ball within six months... Galvao and Viera style.  Check out this vid (FFWD to 1:30).

 

4 comments:

  1. Very cool. Balance balls are a great tool for bjj. I use them for knee on belly or hopping over butterfly hook practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, You might try to do it looking up. You know...posture. Might be easier and more stable. There's no need to be looking down...you already know what's down there. If it's applicable in jiu-jitsu, probably also applicable here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no homo, but i love ball work. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. @Chad, I'll try that! Actually, been having trouble with the larger sized balls. Small balls, no problem. It's them big balls. Dem hard!

    ReplyDelete