Monday, October 18, 2010

6 to 8:30p

6-7p: Private with Gavin. Stretched. Talked tournament tips. Gavin teaches the no gi class on Friday night. He said I should enter as Intermediate. Friday was my first day training no gi. Got my arse handed to me by everyone, including Gavin. But he was serious. If the tourney has a no gi bracket and it's not too late to sign up, fine. I'll do it. Why not?

We reviewed some turtle escape/reversal techniques from a few weeks back. Also went over clock choke details and looked at a number of butterfly sweep options. Ended with a roll from stand up. Pulled guard (messed up once, so we started over). Had a great roll. He attacked the whole time. I survived. Looking forward to next week's private when we get back on track with the curriculum. I believe next week's lesson is side control survival/escapes.

7-8:30p: Did the standard warm-up and sweep/pass the guard drills. Then got into tournament prep. Take downs. Class divided into two groups: (1) under 170; and (2) 170+. Professor Matthias called me into the under 170 group, presumably to protect my knee. Went all right I suppose. Managed one take down, but I landed with my arm out and posture busted. Could have been arm barred or swept. No good.

After tournament rules overview and Q&A, those scheduled to compete this weekend (like me) got to simulate a real tourney round including refs. Got Dr. Steve (Blue Belt) for my round. It went better than expected, although he got with an armbar around minute 3:30. Had a half guard sweep, passed guard a couple of times, and two take downs. Well...only one legit take down. I got two points when Steve pulled guard. Apparently I got the points because he timed the guard pull as I made a half-hearted leg sweep attempt. If that's really the rule, I'm not a fan.

Concluded class with two spar rounds. 6 minutes each. Got a newer White Belt first (forgot his name...drats) and Professor Matthias. The newer White Belt popped a nasty blister on his foot so we didn't roll too long. At one point I attempted a step over choke. He tapped, but only because he said it hurt quite a bit and not because of a choke. Drats... it's supposed to be a choke. Back to the drawing board! My time with Professor Matthias was great too, but I was exhausted and my technique was sloppy (that's a kind way to put it).

No comments:

Post a Comment