Thursday, October 14, 2010

6 months

6 months ago today I stepped on the mats for the first time. 6 months plus one day ago I couldn't have imagined that within such a short time I'd lose 30+ lbs and be so addicted to BJJ. But it only took one day...that first day on April 14th...to realize how BJJ could change my life.

Month 6 Goal review:
1. Make an average of 4.5 classes per week, with no less than 4 in a week.
Grade = B. Close...but no cigar. Knee injury prevented me from achieving this goal.

2. Make at least one Kickboxing class per week and Friday Judo class when in town.
Grade = B+. Tried judo once. That may be the last time I take judo. Body just not strong enough to withstand the beating. Made many kickboxing classes, but missed last week due to knee injury.

3. Stretch before and after all workouts with special emphasis on post-workout stretches.
Grade = B-. Forgot too often.

4. Practice what I learn. Go into every roll with strategy to obtain positions required to practice the technique of the day, even if that means letting my opponent take a superior position.
Grade = D. This is tough to implement.

5. When not practicing what I learn, work chokes. Primarily chokes from side control, north south, and mount. But...front gi chokes from guard are ok too. ;-)
Grade = A-. Got lots of chokes and choke attempts.

6. Inquire about cheap privates...
Grade - A. Got a great deal for 1hr private each week with Gavin (Purple, 4-stripes). Also arranged a deal for one hour per month with Professor Mathhias.


Goal for Month 7:

1. Maintain "New Normal" attitude. Roll safe.

2. Make average 4 classes per week.

3. Work half guard sweeps and escapes.

4. Try to implement technique of the day.

Oh...got promoted after class on my 6-mo milestone day. Not sure if I'm really a 4-striper, but I trust my Professor.



Tournament is next Saturday. I'm about 7-8lbs under weight already so I decided to celebrate my 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment