Thursday, October 14, 2010

5:30 to 8:30p

5:30-5:15p: Warm-up / standard drills.

5:45-6p: Mount maintenance/escape drills. Terrible performance... How can it be that everyone can escape my mount but I can't escape their mount? Especially when I know what they are doing, but I cannot defend or do the same thing when it's my turn to escape? Bleh.

6-6:30p: Technique. Mount maintenance with a choke. Then escapes. The choke was new to me, but the maintenance and escape techniques were standard. I know them...just can't execute with any regularity in a live spar situation.

6:30-7p: 5 or 6 minute rounds. Got Professor Matthias, Will (Blue) and Aaron (Blue). Roll with Matthias was fantastic. He allowed me to work and left me many opportunities to work. Fortunately, I recognized many opportunities. Unfortunately, I probably didn't recognize other opportunities that I missed...so...ignorance is bliss. He went for two arm bars. Escaped both. My guess is he was playing catch and release. Can't say enough how much I enjoyed that roll.

Other rolls also went well. Got an arm bar from triangle transition. Never got that on a Blue Belt before. I shot the triangle and he stood up to stack. Only my upper back and neck were on the mat. Controlled the vulnerable arm, threw the leg over, extended the hips...tap. Also had a nice bow and arrow attempt. It was locked and tight. Gi under the chin and posture completely broken, but didn't get the tap. After 10 seconds, I gave it up. Well...not before a really pathetic attempt to force a tap. I let go of the pant grip and tried to squeeze the throat. Stopped as soon as I realized that's not the point...I didn't get the tap so I should have switched around to the back and tried a variation of the same choke. Aaron almost caught me in a guillotine of sorts. I was a second or two from tapping, but fought my way out. Not very technical though...

After class, Professor Matthias gave me two additional stripes. Wow. Must trust my Professor.

7-8:30p: Kickboxing. Lots of jabs. Left arm is sore. Got lazy with a jab defense technnique and took a shot to the right eye. Knocked the contact loose and I saw stars for a moment. Fun...I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment