Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Paragon SLO

Visited my parents in San Luis Obispo (SLO) the past few days. Managed an hour of weights on Monday and a bit of cardio by jogging from the house to the top of Islay Hill and back on Tuesday (about 2 miles with a cutback trail through open space). Today I stopped by Paragon for a bit of mat time. Professor Chris Lavato and his students welcomed me and were very accommodating.

We started with two double underhook stack pass defense techniques. The first technique involved creating space via hip escapes and establishing at least one butterfly hook and spider grips. Then place one foot on hip with opposite foot sinking in the bicep for spider. Swim foot that was on hip under the spider grip and you either have a triangle or sweep options. I worked the sweep option.

Second technique involved establishing at least one butterfly hook followed by sitting up to wrap arm around opponent's back to grab belt (choosing a single butterfly hook and using the arm from the hook side to reach across opponent's back to opposite side/belt). For example, if I tended to prefer the right side so I'd leave my right foot in butterfly hook and reach over my partner's back to the opposite side (his right hip/belt). Follow the overhook grab (almost concurrently) with a hip escape to the left while grabbing the opponent's right knee with the free right hand, then post with left leg and roll opponent on his left side and take side control. Good complimentary technique to another butterfly sweep I learned a couple weeks ago.

Rolls followed. Professor Chris said the day classes are fairly informal given the typically low turnout. I fit four rolls into the hour. We didn't follow a clock, but my guess is the rolls were about 10-12 minutes each with water/rest breaks between. I rolled with Chris (white belt), Assistant Instructor Joe Stanley (just earned his purple on Monday!), Mallory (white belt) and concluded with Professor Chris.

Each roll was quite enjoyable, but working with Professor Chris was truly great. He allowed me to work, but differently from other BBs I've worked with. Chris allowed the right amount of space here and there and pressed submission setups while leaving a door open for escape opportunities. It was all very subtle. He created opportunities for me, but if I didn't recognize them in time (or at all) he simply moved on and set up something else so I had another shot. The flow felt very good and although he didn't say a single word to me during the roll, I am confident that my technique would improve dramatically over time if all my rolls were half as instructive as my roll with him today. Thanks for everything Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment