Saturday, July 24, 2010

9:50a to 12p

9:50-10:15a: Stretched and shrimp drills as kids judo finished up.

10:15-11:00a: Self defense. One other adult (Chris) and lots of kids. Learned three escapes from the guillotine. One when attacker's posture is low (not really choking) and two when attacker's posture is correct for the choke. When posture low, block knee, step in between legs, sit down. That forces attacker to fall forward either on his/her head or into a roll. When attacker's posture is correct for a choke, monkey grip, then (a) reach over shoulder and tire out attacker by hanging; (b) step around and crumple knee forcing attacker to ground. Pressure shoulder into neck (via stack of sorts) until choke release. Also learned an escape when one arm is trapped via underhook. Monkey grip, hang trapped arm, swing arm, step out, step behind taking attacker arm behind back.

11a-12p: Open mat. Three rolls with guys my size. Warmed up with Brandon (Blue Belt) followed by a roll from his closed guard. He worked attacks. I worked survival/escape. He caught me a few times (triangle, arm bar). Had a nice escape from back survival posture to take side control.

Second roll with Alex (Blue Belt). Got my butt handed to me most of the roll. A couple triangles. Couple arm bars. Couple Kimuras. But...a couple nice escapes from back survival posture and arm bar attacks as well.

Last roll with Mike (White Belt). Passed guard once to side control and attacked his arm. Tried for Kimura technique we learned Tuesday but couldn't control him and maintain the trapped arm. He escaped. Got worked over the rest of the roll. Couple triangles. An arm bar (after triangle escape).

Observation: If I give up my back or allow an arm bar set up, I have about a 60-70% chance of escaping via back survival posture/escape, seated mount escape, or arm bar escape. I have about a 0-5% chance of escaping side control or mount. Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I started video taping my sessions awhile back. Great tool for damping up your game.

    ReplyDelete