Thursday, July 15, 2010

3 Months

Three months ago yesterday, I stepped on the mats for the first time. I was 220lbs and completely out of shape. I'm still 220lbs, but feel stronger, healthier, and even a bit younger. I've had a dozen or more comments from friends and family who haven't seen me in a while suggesting that I've lost weight or look "trim" or "fit." Although I haven't lost a pound after three months training (four times per week), my weight distribution is definitely changing.

My game has progressed well enough in the past three months. I get frustrated that I'm not as coordinated as the younger folks, but I can feel progress. I'm still struggling with side control and mount escape to guard recovery. Also feel like I'm ready to learn and implement a half dozen or so sweeps.

I celebrated the three month mark of my journey by taking a day off from BJJ. Went surfing atBlack's with Pat instead. Had to wake up at 4:30am to meet him so we could hike down the hill and be in the water by 5:30a. Ugh. It was a great session though and it's clear that BJJ is improving my shoulder strength, which makes my surfing experience more enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 3 month mark G-Stamp! 5:30am in the water was prolly coooold! But I'm sure you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! Same thing happened to me. I gained weight the first three months, then have maintained. It's not terrible, since I'm more solid than before.

    Congrats, and happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Fried Chicken Skin: Water was unseasonably cold. 63F. Usually it's in the high 60s this time of year. The air was fairly warm, even at 5:30a so that part wasn't bad. BTW, I'm Rick. G-Stamp was my stage name for a college band.

    @Megan: Glad to know I'm not the only one! But I sure hope to drop about 20lbs in the long run...

    ReplyDelete