Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Light Drilling w/ Ryan Hall

No no no... I wasn't drilling with Ryan Hall, so if you came here to read about that, go ahead and leave. Instead this post is about some light drilling work I did with a Brown Belt yesterday w/ a Ryan Hall video link with heated discussion about his loss to Bruno Henrique at the Houston Open last weekend. Here's the link: http://www.grapplingweekly.com/ryan-halls-contraversial-loss-to-bruno-henrique-at-the-houston-open/  (discussion on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/grapplingweekly/posts/232217980200950)

A few friends from NOLA BJJ competed at the Houston Open and watched Hall's match. My thoughts? Rules are rules I suppose. But I wonder if Bruno considered conceding the fight to Hall. The dude got beat, official results notwithstanding.

Oh... about my light drilling. It was the second time on the mats since early December. Showed up for the 7:30am class and the only other person who showed was a Brown I know only in passing. The doors were locked so after 30 mins of waiting we decided to sneak into a gym located nearby and drill a bit. I was hesitant at first, but hey, he's a Brown. I'm just following my elder's lead! (Actually, I'm older than him by 3mos) We warmed up with sweeps from half guard. The sweep allowed us to get into a groove and sweep back and forth. Then he showed me a new choke from mount. Basically feed your gi lapel under the guys head and pass to opposite hand. Dismount to side control and finish in modified north-south. Pretty slick, although I'm not sure I will be able to control a guy during the transition from mount to side to north-south. Regardless, it was good to see a new technique again.

We finished with drills. He worked back escapes while I attempted to sub. Initially we were going to switch off, but while demonstrating a one armed choke, I think he crushed my windpipe. I heard it pop and I still can't swallow right. So... no back escapes for me. Instead I worked guard sweeps/subs while he attempted to pass. Worked up a decent sweat over 15 mins. Although he's only 160lbs or so, I couldn't control him from the back at all. He escaped each time, except for the last attempt when I choked him when he raised a hand to clear his hair. Got lucky. I swept him twice. Sweep off a pass and omoplata. He passed several times. Once I got stuck under his half guard. Miserable. He felt like 250lbs. How do people do that? Finally, out of exhaustion, I gave up the pass.

Before leaving I stopped back at the gym. Doors were open and folks were starting to arrive for class. Hmm... I guess the schedule changed when I was gone. Had to get to work so I couldn't join the class. Now I have a copy of the new schedule. I guess things like that happen when you stay away from the gym for months. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment