Saturday, February 18, 2012

I'm Back!

First full class today since early December. 1 hr beginner class plus 30 mins of open mat. I'm on cloud 9. Very sore toes and groin but otherwise feel great. Techniques included a guard break to combat base to knee slide pass. Then positional sparring. During open mat I worked with a Green (my age but 40lbs lighter), a White (early 20s and maybe 80lbs lighter), and a Purple (10yrs older and 60lbs lighter). My goal was to keep moving but not gas. Each training partner was a perfect complement. Some solid flow rolling. Taking time off seems to have cleared my head. I wasn't overwhelmed with trying techniques I only half-remembered. Instead, did what came naturally and looked for opportunities to apply leverage. I attempted whatever came to mind even if what came to mind wasn't something I'd been shown in the past. My time with the Purple was particularly instructive. He was visiting from an affiliate academy, but I hope to get more mat time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment