Monday, February 27, 2012

Is it normal...

...to be so sore and achy all the time?  I try to work out 30-90 minutes, six days per week.  BJJ training only 2-3 of those days plus an hour of strength and conditioning twice per week and a couple mile jog or the Ab Ripper X (part of the P90x series) on the 6th day.  When you think about it, although a fair amount of exercise, it's not a lot.  I can't seem to accept that a 35yr old who has trained BJJ almost two years should hurt all over all the time.  I know I've been off the mats for a while, but I maintained other exercise and overall my strength and conditioning feel good.  Also, even before my neck gave out in December I struggled with significant and disheartening aches and pains.  Do I just need to tough it out and push harder?  Or are these aches and pains warning signs of another devastating and debilitating injury?

9 comments:

  1. Are you drinking enough water? Maybe you are dehydrated. And check your protein intake, feed those muscles. Try also, epsom bath, sports massage, and good sleep.

    Dag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hey! Good sports massage guy in Santee- Jeff Besser (619) 258-6234 at Body Dynamix. This is not a nicey nicey world beat music spa massage. Jeff is all brass tacks business and works like a surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dag, I drink plenty of water. Or at least I think I do. Is at least a gallon a day enough? I also get a 90 minute deep tissue massage every three weeks. As for protein intake, I eat eggs (3 whites and one yolk) and raw almonds daily, and chicken almost daily. Lean red meat ~2x per week. Sleep? Hmmm.... about 6-8hrs a night? I don't know? BTW, you're new profile pic is intimidating. Wowzers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you have covered all the bases. Who knows, maybe your body is just worn down from being injured? Extreme times demand extreme measures. Time for ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you take at least one full day of rest? Stop and do nothing physical for at least 24hrs. per week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Dag. ICE CREAM! Don't tempt me! I had to give that and other refined sugar up a few years ago. Doc said it was contributing to high triglycerides.

    @ Papercrosses. I take at least one day off per week, but often two. It just depends on my schedule and how I'm feeling. So... I think I'm just old and complain too much. The chronic pain sure is a drag though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. since i started bjj i have always hurt. always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We seem to be extra-ordinary. ;-) Most folks I talk to who train regularly say they are only moderately sore with rare periods of heavy soreness. Either we're not doing something right or we have bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm 40 and I always hurt after training. I have been training in some type of martial art pretty much all of my life and hurt just keeps getting worse. I think it is just the way it is when you hit middle age.

    ReplyDelete