Thursday, January 27, 2011

Scare

5:30-5:50p: Forgot my gym bag today. No gi. No belt. No tape. No mouth guard. No nothing. Purple had an extra gi...whew...I was really looking forward to training tonight. Glad it worked out. Another Purple led a tough warm-up tonight. Lots of odd drills. Couldn't finish all the push-ups and some of the core work, but I kept moving. Felt good.

5:50-6:05p: Pummeling to throw set ups plus double-underhooks attempts. Then guard breaks from busted posture at full speed. Worked with a second day new guy without a gi. Went ok.

6:05-6:30p: Technique. Guard break from busted posture. Stand, insert knee through butt crack and break to torreando grips to double leg stack pass.

6:30-7p: Crowded mats. Groups of three. Brown Belt picked me and a 15yr old White Belt who rolls like a solid Blue but isn't old enough yet for the Blue. Watched them roll first. Brown played light catch and release, but I thought he released a bit too early. I don't think White understood that he didn't have legitimate escapes...maybe...but maybe not. I rolled with White next. Started off well enough. Got a couple of sweeps. He came at me pretty hard. Swept me a couple times. One of the sweeps...think it was a tripod or variation...dropped me back and I landed on my head/neck/upper back. Immediately felt three snaps in the neck (not the chiropractor adjustment type...the scary type) followed by immediate ringing in both ears and a jolt of electricity down my left arm. I tapped...and rolled over. Couldn't focus my eyes for a while as I tried to assess the extent of my injury. No significant pain. Could feel everything. Nothing numb or tingling. But I was in a bit of shock. Shaking a bit. Sat out a while. Missed my opportunity to roll with Mr. Brown. Drats.

Eventually convinced myself that nothing was serious is wrong. The 2nd day White Belt I worked with earlier tonight asked me to roll. Sure...why not. He's bigger than me. Lots of muscle. Should probably have said no, but it went fine (i.e., I didn't get hurt). He tapped 5-6 times but I didn't try to tap him. I had intended to play a little catch and release, but he tapped before I could even secure a position and begin to lock in a sub. No problem. He clearly understands the value of the tap = opportunity to start over and try again. Seems to really like BJJ. NIce. Hope he sticks around because he'll make a good training partner.

Neck is a bit tight and sore, but I think I'm ok. Scared the crap out of me though...

2 comments:

  1. I hate spine sounds...I once heard a pop in my upper vertebrae just from posturing up in guard...nowhere near what you just went through and it freaked me out. So you haven't had any other oddities going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddities? The neck area feels generally vulnerable. I don't think that's going away. Other than that, just the normal old guy aches and pains. Going to keep 2x per week schedule for a while longer even if I feel good enough to train more.

    ReplyDelete