Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Neuorologist Weighs In

I had a neurologist check me out over the Christmas break and sent him my MRI results for review/comment. Here's a summary of his comments:

1. Reversal of cervical lordosis is suggestive of muscle spasm as the neck should be C shaped and mine is more straight. Not a major finding.

2. At C5-6 there is moderate narrowing of the spinal canal but no cord
compression (good).

3. Bony narrowing of the canals on both sides of the neck at C5-6 where the nerve roots come out of the spinal cord and go into the arms. Similar but less severe
findings at C6-7.

Diagnosis: Tingly symptoms and weakness in arm/hand are probably from irritation of nerve root in tight bony foraminal canal in C5-6, but C6-7 could be contributing. In other words...my symptoms are from disc degeneration and bone spurs.

Treatment Options: Not based on MRI, but symptoms. Significant pain, muscle weakness, or persistent tingling could indicate time for surgery. Surgery may involve a cervical fusion at C5-6 AND C6-7 --(fix both levels while they are in there). Surgery is called ACDF anterior cervical discectomy with fusion. Based on my symptoms (which seem to get better every day), he doesn't think surgery is mandatory...yet. Although I can delay the surgery, he thinks it's probably inevitable. He doesn't advise steroidal injections. Says my problem is anatomical. Injections hurt, are expensive, and only treat symptoms. Physical Therapy has a better chance of helping my condition, but not likely to be the source of major long-term improvement. Said it's worth a shot though.

Closing Note: He wrote: "Mixed martial arts may not be the best thing for you neck" and said he didn't know how good "wrestling" is as a form of exercise for someone in my condition. Good thing I don't train MMA or wrestle! Ha.

2 comments:

  1. dude, i was looking up stuff about my injury tonight and came across this. Amazing. I am a 30 year old BJJ blue belt in Baton Rouge. I have the exact same issues. Tingling sensation in my left hand, slight numbness, arm hurts like a SOB and my neck isn't happy with me either. Got an MRI last week and have it with me now. I see the Neurologist tomorrow morning. C5-C6... i mean, this is WEIRD.

    Let me know what you do to get better. I've been training for 6 years now and going from 5 days a week down to once a month is killing me.

    ryannberry@hotmail.com or Facebook me Ryan Berry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck & keep us posted on how the therapy goes.

    ReplyDelete