Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Lazy / Hurt Grappling

I must be a bad training partner. Seems I get hurt and/or complain about one injury or another every time I'm on the mat. (This time it's a dislocated pinky toe. The other one...). I'm also a lazy grappler. Passing guard is too tiring so I get stuck "trying" to pass in the rare event that I find myself on top. Problem is, often I'm not really trying to pass; I frequently stall and sometimes give up a sweep or roll back into guard where I'm more comfortable.

I'm also far far too comfortable in turtle or when someone has my back. I feel safe there and to do anything that requires too much energy. I can't help but think that my training partners, many of whom spend 50-75% of each round trying to deal with my turtle while I stall, are beginning to take notice.

I'm in a rut. I don't want to be "that guy", but I can't seem to muster the mental toughness that it's going to take to pull myself out.


Oh! Shout out to Megan of Tangled Triangle and her recent interview of my Professor Saulo Ribeiro. Great post Megan!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! ...and I feel you on the toe pain. Just reinjured one of mine and it's totally changed the world of guard passing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did someone hack your blog???

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Megan: My left big toe is all bruised. Feels like what I imagine turf toe would feel like, but I've not been diagnosed. Hurts WAY worse than the dislocated pinky... toes are lame.

    @Chad: Don't think so. Does it look different than normal? Thinks appear fine on my end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant that the things you wrote don't sound like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...yeah...I'm a bit down on my game lately. Definitely hit a rut. Not a big deal. Part of the journey. Looking forward to visiting in a couple weeks. I'll be training a few day classes the week before the tourney. Not sure how many night classes I'll make.

    ReplyDelete