Sunday, October 9, 2011

Starting from Standing

2hrs of semi-open mat on Friday. A few 8min rounds followed by sparring from stand up. Finished with a few more 5-6min rounds. For the stand up portion, Professor Saulo would call up two to spar for about 3mins. The rest of us watched. I got two rounds, each with a smaller Blue. Got a few takedowns, including a double leg and drop seoi nage. The rest was pretty sloppy sparring. I attacked a kimura from north south, lost the position but tried to switch to an arm bar...ended up under side control then mount. Sloppy... Second round I mounted but couldn't finish. The experience was fantastic. Hope to start from standing more.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great Rick. We had our inter-club competition the other week and it really drove home how little an amount of training from standing we do. The stand up was sloppy as hell. I hope in future I can train a bit more stand up or maybe take a judo class or two. \m/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really boosted my confidence. Hope to do it at least one more time before my next tourney in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete